# Architecture

**URL:** https://discuss.openedx.org/c/development/architecture/12.md?page=2

[Latest](https://discuss.openedx.org/latest.md) · [Categories](https://discuss.openedx.org/categories.md) · [Tags](https://discuss.openedx.org/tags.md)

**Page:** 3

---

## [ADR for using the outbox pattern in the Event Bus](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/adr-for-using-the-outbox-pattern-in-the-event-bus/11854)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@Tim\_McCormack](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/Tim_McCormack)\
**Replies:** 0\
**Last updated:** [December 4, 2023, 4:51pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/adr-for-using-the-outbox-pattern-in-the-event-bus/11854 "2023-12-04T16:51:22Z")

</div>

The Event Bus currently doesn’t have a mechanism for ensuring that events are kept consistent with the producing service’s database and that ordering is preserved. I’ve put up an ADR for review that proposes to use the t…

---

## [ADR for WebAssembly-based code sandboxing](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/adr-for-webassembly-based-code-sandboxing/11695)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@dave](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/dave)\
**Replies:** 4\
**Last updated:** [November 22, 2023, 3:32pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/adr-for-webassembly-based-code-sandboxing/11695 "2023-11-22T15:32:34Z")

</div>

I’ve just opened a pull request for an architecture decision record to create an experimental Wasm-based safe code execution system that could one day grow into a replacement for codejail: The full rationale for this …

---

## [Frontend Pluggability Summit](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/frontend-pluggability-summit/11167)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@e0d](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/e0d)\
**Replies:** 36\
**Last updated:** [November 2, 2023, 8:34pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/frontend-pluggability-summit/11167 "2023-11-02T20:34:20Z")

</div>

Over the last years we have been migrating our user experiences away from the server side, to micro-frontends based on the React framework. This has allowed us to iterate faster on user experiences and deliver value fast…

---

## [Devstack studio login being redirect](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/devstack-studio-login-being-redirect/11307)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@Himanshu\_Mandaliya](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/Himanshu_Mandaliya)\
**Replies:** 4\
**Last updated:** [September 30, 2023, 4:33pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/devstack-studio-login-being-redirect/11307 "2023-09-30T16:33:14Z")

</div>

Hello dear i am installing a new openedx environment but have a problem with authentification in the studio. If I log in it redirects me to this link ‘http://localhost:18000/register?next=http%3A%2F%2Flocalhost%3A18010%…

---

## [Adding Celery Beat as a scheduler to the core offering](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/adding-celery-beat-as-a-scheduler-to-the-core-offering/9428)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@Felipe](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/Felipe)\
**Replies:** 15\
**Last updated:** [September 22, 2023, 8:25pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/adding-celery-beat-as-a-scheduler-to-the-core-offering/9428 "2023-09-22T20:25:46Z")

</div>

Hey dear all, I am currently working with @alecar on the final feature for the Survey Report project. The goal of this step is to make it possible for intances to send the report (aggregated and annonimized data) aut…

---

## [All courses in overview dashboard](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/all-courses-in-overview-dashboard/10974)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@Zaid\_Mukhi](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/Zaid_Mukhi)\
**Replies:** 0\
**Last updated:** [August 16, 2023, 12:39pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/all-courses-in-overview-dashboard/10974 "2023-08-16T12:39:21Z")

</div>

Before login on Overview page I can se all course but when I logged-In it’s shows only 6 courses, so if anybody can help to resolve asap. Also help to update header logo via LMS/Admin console. without editing theme file…

---

## [Database Models (ERD and General Storage)](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/database-models-erd-and-general-storage/9502)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@justin-jones](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/justin-jones)\
**Replies:** 4\
**Last updated:** [August 11, 2023, 5:11pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/database-models-erd-and-general-storage/9502 "2023-08-11T17:11:11Z")

</div>

Good Morning team! We are looking to see if there is a pre-made ERD for the MySQL database for Open edX? We are working on mapping some data for downstream systems to consume and need to have a good understanding of wh…

---

## [Users are logout after Deployment (k8s Open edX)](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/users-are-logout-after-deployment-k8s-open-edx/10939)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@rajborisagar](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/rajborisagar)\
**Replies:** 2\
**Last updated:** [August 10, 2023, 2:34pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/users-are-logout-after-deployment-k8s-open-edx/10939 "2023-08-10T14:34:45Z")

</div>

Hello all, We set up k8s with Azure CICD pipeline. While deployment we are doing the below activities Launching new VM Install fresh Tutor Open edX platform and create the build We are using Azure service for MySQL, …

---

## [Evaluating big technology changes like PostgreSQL support](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/evaluating-big-technology-changes-like-postgresql-support/10643)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@jmbowman](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/jmbowman)\
**Replies:** 0\
**Last updated:** [July 7, 2023, 3:34pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/evaluating-big-technology-changes-like-postgresql-support/10643 "2023-07-07T15:34:31Z")

</div>

After yet another conversation along the lines of “no, seriously, are we better off moving Open edX from MySQL to PostgreSQL at this point?”, I wrote up https://openedx.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/AC/pages/3801743364/MySQL…

---

## [A minimal Open edX distribution?](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/a-minimal-open-edx-distribution/9478)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@braden](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/braden)\
**Replies:** 4\
**Last updated:** [June 30, 2023, 5:54pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/a-minimal-open-edx-distribution/9478 "2023-06-30T17:54:59Z")

</div>

TL;DR - we need infrastructure for running two types of edx-platform CI builds and developer setups - one minimal with no plugins installed and one “batteries included”, and this will help improve the architecture. Hey…

---

## [Future of Learner Dashboard architecture](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/future-of-learner-dashboard-architecture/10306)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@robrap](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/robrap)\
**Replies:** 16\
**Last updated:** [June 9, 2023, 6:30pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/future-of-learner-dashboard-architecture/10306 "2023-06-09T18:30:42Z")

</div>

On edX.org, we need to support a learner dashboard that includes some learning experiences (e.g. courses) that are available from other products, not hosted in the Open edX LMS learning experience. I’ll refer to these as…

---

## [Why do we use entry points for server side extensions?](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/why-do-we-use-entry-points-for-server-side-extensions/10157)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@dave](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/dave)\
**Replies:** 5\
**Last updated:** [May 24, 2023, 8:56pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/why-do-we-use-entry-points-for-server-side-extensions/10157 "2023-05-24T20:56:35Z")

</div>

If you want to extend the platform and have it run your own plugin’s classes, the way to do it today is to define the appropriate entry point to your package’s setup.py so that it gets run when your package is installed.…

---

## [OpenEdx infrastructure](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/openedx-infrastructure/9995)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@Murali\_K](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/Murali_K)\
**Replies:** 1\
**Last updated:** [May 2, 2023, 10:38am UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/openedx-infrastructure/9995 "2023-05-02T10:38:52Z")

</div>

Hello group It is so nice to be here, I’m just 2 days old to OpenEdx. I would like to u seese and the infrastructure requirement to up and run the Openedx platform? Regards Murali

---

## [Request for Feedback: Personalized Course Content Schedules](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/request-for-feedback-personalized-course-content-schedules/1304)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@cpennington](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/cpennington)\
**Replies:** 6\
**Last updated:** [April 18, 2023, 5:26pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/request-for-feedback-personalized-course-content-schedules/1304 "2023-04-18T17:26:04Z")

</div>

I’ve been working on giving edx-platform the ability to support personalized schedules for course content in self-paced courses. In short, we’re adding support for assigning relative dates to content, and then interpreti…

---

## [Analytics Strategy for Data teams](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/analytics-strategy-for-data-teams/9746)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@justin-jones](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/justin-jones)\
**Replies:** 4\
**Last updated:** [April 6, 2023, 1:30pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/analytics-strategy-for-data-teams/9746 "2023-04-06T13:30:47Z")

</div>

Good day Team! We are currently using Nutmeg and we use Cairn for our team to create dashboards on some of the data. We have Data science team that is wanting to pull data into another system so that they can answer so…

---

## [How do I relate video\_ids with video names? Help with the MongoDB](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/how-do-i-relate-video-ids-with-video-names-help-with-the-mongodb/9483)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@rolo](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/rolo)\
**Replies:** 0\
**Last updated:** [March 3, 2023, 10:57am UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/how-do-i-relate-video-ids-with-video-names-help-with-the-mongodb/9483 "2023-03-03T10:57:23Z")

</div>

Hello again guys! I want to send notifications with the amount of complete views that the video has per day. What I have done so far, is to capture from the tracking.log file the are logs that contain the event\_type: "v…

---

## [What is stored in each database?](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/what-is-stored-in-each-database/9356)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@rolo](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/rolo)\
**Replies:** 6\
**Last updated:** [February 28, 2023, 7:03pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/what-is-stored-in-each-database/9356 "2023-02-28T19:03:27Z")

</div>

Hello. At my company wanted to use open edX as our LMS. We wanted to perform some analytics on the content, so that we can have more visibility about, for example, which courses were seen more than others. For this, we w…

---

## [How to make great ADR decisions without slowing down](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/how-to-make-great-adr-decisions-without-slowing-down/8744)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@robrap](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/robrap)\
**Replies:** 4\
**Last updated:** [December 16, 2022, 10:19pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/how-to-make-great-adr-decisions-without-slowing-down/8744 "2022-12-16T22:19:55Z")

</div>

When presenting OEP-56: Architectural Advisory Process to engineers, especially as it relates to ADRs, a common reaction is the belief that soliciting feedback would unnecessarily slow down the process. The unspoken conc…

---

## [How to get advance settings of a course by course\_key](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/how-to-get-advance-settings-of-a-course-by-course-key/8914)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@luan.tm](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/luan.tm)\
**Replies:** 2\
**Last updated:** [December 13, 2022, 4:21pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/how-to-get-advance-settings-of-a-course-by-course-key/8914 "2022-12-13T16:21:06Z")

</div>

Hello everyone , I’m using lilac master version and I want to get some advance setting of a specifix course in Studio, is there anyway to get it. Expect result can be query\_set or better is json

---

## [Update on the Open edX event bus](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/update-on-the-open-edx-event-bus/8751)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@robrap](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/robrap)\
**Replies:** 0\
**Last updated:** [November 17, 2022, 5:48pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/update-on-the-open-edx-event-bus/8751 "2022-11-17T17:48:39Z")

</div>

Ready for a new way to communicate across Open edX services? The event bus is now in use using Kafka on edx.org. The event bus is still an optional part of the platform. See the Event Bus Platform Roadmap for next steps…

---

## [How to modify edx-platform content in tutor](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/how-to-modify-edx-platform-content-in-tutor/8560)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@tomg10](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/tomg10)\
**Replies:** 5\
**Last updated:** [October 28, 2022, 9:35am UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/how-to-modify-edx-platform-content-in-tutor/8560 "2022-10-28T09:35:38Z")

</div>

Hello I have migrated from native to tutor but nothing appear to be normal I have tried to use tutor local run lms bash to modify and edit video\_xfields.py but it did not work! I got an error and the whole thing cha…

---

## [ADR for removing MongoDB from edx-platform](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/adr-for-removing-mongodb-from-edx-platform/6001)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@dave](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/dave)\
**Replies:** 10\
**Last updated:** [October 27, 2022, 2:04pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/adr-for-removing-mongodb-from-edx-platform/6001 "2022-10-27T14:04:22Z")

</div>

Overdue ADR PR: I’ll keep it open for a couple of weeks to give folks time to comment. Thank you.

---

## [Question: External ID for a course run](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/question-external-id-for-a-course-run/8549)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@aayub](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/aayub)\
**Replies:** 0\
**Last updated:** [October 21, 2022, 5:46am UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/question-external-id-for-a-course-run/8549 "2022-10-21T05:46:47Z")

</div>

Hi! I need to associate an external ID with a course run in edx platform, to be used in an LTI launch. I was wondering if there’s any existing solution that i can leverage. Thanks.

---

## [Changelogs and reducing developer busywork](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/changelogs-and-reducing-developer-busywork/8435)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@kmccormick](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/kmccormick)\
**Replies:** 15\
**Last updated:** [October 14, 2022, 9:15pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/changelogs-and-reducing-developer-busywork/8435 "2022-10-14T21:15:23Z")

</div>

Hey Arch-BOM team @ 2U/edX – (or anyone else who is interested, I’m just tagging them since they own the cookiecutters currently) I see in edx-cookiecutters that we are now adding a Changelog to every new repository. I…

---

## [Looking to create Eduverse like metaverse where students can explore](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/looking-to-create-eduverse-like-metaverse-where-students-can-explore/8484)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@Parvin\_Kumar](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/Parvin_Kumar)\
**Replies:** 2\
**Last updated:** [October 13, 2022, 4:22pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/looking-to-create-eduverse-like-metaverse-where-students-can-explore/8484 "2022-10-13T16:22:54Z")

</div>

Hi all, I wanted to create a pluggable Metaverse type system in OpenEdx where we upload a particular module and users can use with AR/VR or HOLO Lens or can watch in Metaverse. Please suggest how i can do that.

---

## [How to create, update course using API](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/how-to-create-update-course-using-api/8374)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@luan.tm](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/luan.tm)\
**Replies:** 3\
**Last updated:** [October 5, 2022, 2:59am UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/how-to-create-update-course-using-api/8374 "2022-10-05T02:59:14Z")

</div>

Hello everyone, I want to create a new course and update exist course using API (synch from another system), I read api-docs but I can’t see any API to do that. If I have to write new API, please guide me (about model co…

---

## [Calendaring, reminders, and nagging learners in just the right way](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/calendaring-reminders-and-nagging-learners-in-just-the-right-way/8388)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@Jeff\_Witt](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/Jeff_Witt)\
**Replies:** 1\
**Last updated:** [September 29, 2022, 11:47am UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/calendaring-reminders-and-nagging-learners-in-just-the-right-way/8388 "2022-09-29T11:47:30Z")

</div>

I am interested in co-working, and whether it might help learners complete courses more effectively. Co-working is a schedule “work date” with one or more other people, with the idea that you’re socially accountable to t…

---

## [Verifiable Credentials Design Work](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/verifiable-credentials-design-work/8377)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@dave](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/dave)\
**Replies:** 1\
**Last updated:** [September 28, 2022, 1:52pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/verifiable-credentials-design-work/8377 "2022-09-28T13:52:39Z")

</div>

Just wanted to make sure folks knew about the draft design page for how we plan to support Verifiable Credentials in Open edX. Those who aren’t familiar with the Verifiable Credentials spec might want to read this intro …

---

## [When to make a new backend service?](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/when-to-make-a-new-backend-service/8267)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@dave](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/dave)\
**Replies:** 8\
**Last updated:** [September 27, 2022, 4:56pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/when-to-make-a-new-backend-service/8267 "2022-09-27T16:56:19Z")

</div>

There’s recently been talk about when to make something a service vs. making separate Django apps that plug into the LMS process at runtime. I thought there was specific guidance on this in the wiki somewhere, but I coul…

---

## [Features controlling their own data](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/features-controlling-their-own-data/8376)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@dave](https://discuss.openedx.org/u/dave)\
**Replies:** 0\
**Last updated:** [September 27, 2022, 4:37pm UTC](https://discuss.openedx.org/t/features-controlling-their-own-data/8376 "2022-09-27T16:37:36Z")

</div>

One of the issues that’s come up in the Old Mongo removal work is that certificates code depends on Modulestore to store instructor signature images to put onto certs. This means that we can’t remove Old Mongo file stora…

[Previous page](https://discuss.openedx.org/c/development/architecture/12.md?page=1)

[Next page](https://discuss.openedx.org/c/development/architecture/12.md?page=3)
