Build/Test/Release Working Group Biweekly Meetup

@regis, yes no problem!

1 Like

Join Zoom Meeting

The next meetup will take place 2020-12-07T16:00:00Z2020-12-07T17:00:00Z That’s today! This will be the last meetup before the Koa release, so I expect that we will have to make some arbitration decisions.

Here is the agenda:

• Discuss new Juniper and Koa issues, if any (see the BTR board ).
  • Discuss ongoing commitments.
  • Decide which unresolved issues (if any) should block the Koa release.

If you are involved in the Koa release and are awake at this time, please join! We will need input from all contributors.

EDIT: here is the recording https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/RsUs2xf-rZJzYFptKnT75vb5gDGH7aXb1WMLd2nqLBtxk_-siE_W5rZBsYfR6kZS.iFfBoRjCyBtU6n7a (Password: !80U5Kdp)

1 Like

The next meetup will take place on 2020-12-14T09:00:00Z2020-12-14T10:00:00Z. Now I know that you’re all hungover from all the Koa celebreations, but the show must go on, you know.

Here is the agenda:

• Discuss the status of the Koa release: pending issues, newly discovered issues, if any (see the BTR board .
  • Open mic:
    • What’s next for Open edX? We want to foster contributions from new developers and companies. Right now we depend on the goodwill of a few individuals who agree to give their time for free. How can we better incentivize contributions? Are Open edX companies interested in contributing in exchange of
      increased visibility, in the forums, the Open edX blog or elsewhere?
    • Any other topic you’d like to discuss.

EDIT: here is the recording: https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/BOVsTNZOSSkKxOUcnUBAwhPHez4eh44nDoQa2LVkDG4Qi1IgN6LUEm9AF-liZh4.Ac-NpbvE0G8QfAaK (password: m9$7=+pm)

1 Like

Hi all! Due to the Christmas holidays and my lack of sleep, tomorrow’s meetup is canceled. See you next week!

Happy new year everyone! We’ll be doing our first 2021 meetup 2021-01-04T16:00:00Z2021-01-04T17:00:00Z. On the agenda:

See you then!

EDIT: here is the recording https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/LL56sv-LG90QsEPenkOE1MgtKhCflvfCwejfbSr-Koc7odFlXzsnstci_SdP3Cw.pP9ZDHbhz5LrRmr-
Password: RwC3J#.b

Because I was still on end of year holidays, I wasn’t able to attend the meetup on Monday January 4th. Any recording available I can watch when I get back to work later today (Tuesday) ? Thanks.

There is one now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good day ya’ll! Our next meetup wil happen tomorrow 2021-01-11T09:00:00Z2021-01-11T10:00:00Z. We are back with our regular schedule, which includes the following topics:

• Discuss new Koa issues, if any: see the BTR board .
  • Discussion:
    • We are looking for a replacement for our benevolent leader (that’s me): see this conversation.
    • … any other open topic you’d like to discuss!

See you then!

EDIT: here is the recording Passcode Required - Zoom (Password: 6WSvL*4H)

1 Like

I was watching recordings to catch up after the holidays and made a recap of things that were discussed that might be useful for those who have no time to watch videos.

January 4 meetup:

• Gradebook MFE issues [1], [2].
  • Lack of documentation for MFEs settings.
  • Open edX release notes as a task for the BTR work group.
  • BTR group leader replacement, requirements for the new lead.
  • BTR wiki page is updated.
  • Lazy consensus.
  • Due dates for tickets on the BTR board.
  • Pings in Jira comments don’t work.
  • The best way to report issues and enrollment workflow issue.

January 11 meetup:

2 Likes

Happy Monday! Our next meetup is today 2021-01-18T16:00:00Z2021-01-18T17:00:00Z. Here’s the agenda:

• Discuss new Koa issues, if any: see the BTR board .
  • Discussion:
    • New working group leader election: Adolfo R. Brandes (@arbrandes) from OpenCraft applied to the position and I am supporting his application. If his selection is not challenged (for instance by a competing candidate) then Adolfo will take over the group in the coming days.

EDIT: here is the recording: Passcode Required - Zoom (Password: ?^5*QaST)

Brief summary of 18 January meeting:

• BTR-6 reviewed and merged by Ned Batchelder (@nedbat).
  • BTR-43, ADR: Tutor as replacement for edx/configuration and Tutor maintainters program.
    We discussed what would be the process of edx/configuration replacement. It was decided that if the ADR goes through, Lilac will be working both with Tutor and the deployment playbooks. Lilac will be a transition release before the end of edx/configuration support.
  • New working group leader election.
    Adolfo R. Brandes (@arbrandes) shared roadmap and strategy to address big issues of the working group. You can read and discuss the proposal here. As far as I know, no other candidates applied for this role, so if no objections will be raised, he’ll be hosting 1 February meeting.
1 Like

Hi Builders/Testers/Releasers!

In light of the fact Regis has given me the figurative Key to the Kingdom, last week (literally this one: :key:), and as suggested in my modest proposal, I think we should try and do more asynchronously; i.e, in this forum and on Slack. I haven’t seen a majority of dissentions to this particular point, so with that in mind (and also because the meetup otherwise scheduled for tomorrow is just not accessible from my timezone!), I propose cancelling tomorrow’s meetup, replacing it with a thread in this forum.

I’ll create a dedicated thread for this purpose, tomorrow, perhaps calling it “BTR Weekly”, and link back to it here. Nothing fancy: the idea is to review what was done in the past week, and plan the next one - much like during the Zoom call.

I’m not suggesting we get rid of them all - let’s just reduce the frequency to bi-weekly. So one of the first things to plan will be the next face-to-face meetup, on February 1st. To be fairer to both eastern and western group members, how about if we try and pick a new time? Please select your timezone and paint over all the times that are doable for you, even if not ideal:

http://whenisgood.net/sjk4tp9

Thanks!

3 Likes

We have a winner! Not an unanimous winner, but almost. The time which is least inconvenient for everybody that voted is 16:00 UTC.

This means we’ll next meet on 2021-02-01T16:00:00Z. I’ll still working on our agenda, but in the meantime, this is the new event!

If you’d rather subscribe to the new calendar instead, here’s the link, also in ical. (We should discuss finding a way for the group to “own” a calendar, instead of having it jump to different organizations on every leadership change.)

This is the agenda for today’s meeting:

• New and open issues in the board, in particular:
    • BTR-25 [koa.2]: Trying to find someone to review/approve
    • BTR-59 [koa.2]: Django 2.2.18 upgrade, need somebody to take this on prior to cutting koa.2
    • BTR-60 [lilac]: To generate static assets faster, we need to upgrade webpack
  • Show of hands for a move to GH issues
  • koa.2: can we have volunteers to help test and, possibly, cut the release itself?
  • Need volunteers to take on specific roles. See the last (really, first) biweekly update.
    • In addition, need somebody to lead the technical edx/configuration effort for Lilac, and a different person to head the Tutor one (no surprises on who’s the best person for the job).
  • Tutor is looking for maintainers. Let’s put the word out.
  • Pending issues with the “Tutor ADR”, specially as it relates to Lilac.
  • Let’s talk about asynchronous comms.

Link to meeting video (looks like the first few seconds of video are frozen, but it picks up around 00:00:29)
Link to meeting chat log

Meeting notes will be incorporated into next week’s biweekly update.

3 Likes

As noted above :point_up: the Zoom meeting url and schedule have been changed. Please update your calendars! You should refer to the links given in the top post.

1 Like

Here’s today’s meeting agenda:

Meeting URL: Launch Meeting - Zoom
Meeting ID: 895 7565 8344
Passcode: btr

(Note, this is a different meeting URL from last time - I had to move it to a different account. @regis, mind updating the top post, please? Thanks!)

Here’s last meeting’s video, along with the chat.

We had @nimisha, @nedbat, @pdpinch, @regis, @BbrSofiane, @Maksim_Sokolskiy, @sambapete, and @jhony_avella with us. Thanks to you all!

I’m posting the text summary as part of the biweekly update I’m writing up on a new thread.

Here’s today’s meeting agenda:

Meeting URL: Launch Meeting - Zoom
Meeting ID: 895 7565 8344
Passcode: btr

As usual, here’s last meeting’s video, and this is the chat log.

Visible participants were: @nedbat, @pdpinch, @BbrSofiane, @Maksim_Sokolskiy, @jhony_avella, @blarghmatey, @Neo (how was this nick not already taken?) and myself. If you were at the meeting but do not see your name here, consider turning on your video next time - Zoom doesn’t show your box in the gallery video without it. :slight_smile:

Biweekly update with a text recap incoming on a separate thread.

Thanks!

1 Like

Quick announcement: like with the Contributor’s Meetup, I’m opting to move ours one hour earlier. This is for the simple fact that most of our participants are in the northern hemisphere (which doesn’t include me, btw), and Daylight Savings Time kicks in pretty soon.

To be clear, this means our next meetup is on:

Monday March 15th at 15:00 UTC (Timezone converter)

The calendar (ical) has been updated accordingly. If you copied the event, you might have to do it again - or update yours in place.

Also, feel free to voice objections. If enough people find this to be an abhorrent northernism, we can simply move the meeting back to where it was. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like