Contributors Meetup Async Update - September 16th, 2023 - October 3rd, 2023

Core Contributor Update: Sep 16 - Oct 3, 2023

Use the jump links below to view the section that interests you:


1. Working Groups Updates

Working Groups Calendar

1.1. BTR Working Group

Chair: @jalondonot


:paperclip: Latest news

  • Action Items for Q release :chart_with_upwards_trend::
  • Quince release planning:
  • Early red flags🚩:
    • Django 4.2 upgrade (ask Axim Ned - 2U Jeremy Bowman)
    • Confirming Dean’s role
    • Which MFEs will be included in Quince?

:memo: Meeting notes

1.2. Contributor Coordination Working Group

Chair: Jorge Londoño


:paperclip: Latest news


:memo: Meeting notes

1.3. Data Working Group

Chair: @e0d & @blarghmatey


:paperclip: Latest news

  • FC updates
    • Redis bus last PR delayed
    • Rory on through Oct
    • Possibly more Aspects FCs to speed up v1
  • Aspects updates
    • v1 report missing data being gathered - mostly completions and grading
    • Last discussions PR merged!
    • 300m load test and performance enhancements in progress
    • 4 tickets left for beta

:memo: Meeting notes

1.4. DEPR Working Group

Chair: @feanil


:paperclip: Latest news


:memo: Meeting notes

1.5. DevEx Working Group

Chair: @Rebecca_S_Graber & @kmccormick


:paperclip: Latest news

  • a 2U enterprise team is trying out OEP-37 dev data
    • (anyone can try that out!)
  • OrbStack is in 2U vendor review
    • 2U is likely to recommend OrbStack (closed-source) for Devstack, with Colima (F/OSS) as a recommended alternative
  • Kyle still using improved Tutor build prototype, Régis is reviewing

:memo: Meeting notes

1.6. DevOps Working Group

Chair: Régis Behmo


:paperclip: Latest news


:memo: Meeting notes


1.7. Educators Working Group

Chair: @john_curricume


:paperclip: Latest news


:memo: Meeting notes


Blockers or Calls/offers for help

  • Looking for any and all documentors!

1.8. Frontend Working Group

Chair: @arbrandes


:paperclip: Latest news


:memo: Meeting notes

1.9. Large Instances Working Group

Chair: @braden & @Felipe


:paperclip: Latest news

  • eduNEXT
    • Researched MySQL HA options to run inside Kubernetes. Jhony Avella will create an issue to open the conversation on this topic in the Harmony Project
    • Experienced problems hosting ClickHouse in Kubernetes because of the amount of resources it consumes. An external machine running the service was implemented as a workaround, however, other options like using a ClickHouse cloud service could be considered.
    • Jhony Avella worked on fixing issues related to infrastructure creation on Harmony PR 41. He will work on the Karpenter implementation through Helm.
  • 2U
    • Worked in a container runtime comparison to drop docker-desktop.
    • Exploring Kompose as an option to bring developer environments to Kubernetes.
  • OpenCraft
    • Worked on Grafana dashboards for monitoring.
    • Gábor Boros already provided feedback on the PR 41 in harmony. Some comments are still pending to be addressed.
    • There’s no ETA for the assessment to determine if the Harmony project could be used in production installations.
  • RaccoonGang
    • Working on running ClickHouse and superset in Kubernetes.
    • Analyzing alternatives to deploy production OpenedX instances with minimum resources. Some options include the classic Kubernetes Local installation and Kubernetes deployments with lighter K8S distributions (K8S single server?)
    • Testing Harmony to deploy OpenedX. Positive feedback was provided.

:memo: Meeting notes

1.10. Marketing Working Group

Chair: Eden Huthmacher


:paperclip: Latest news

  • Next (quarterly) external conference to attend - LWMOOCs (October 2023)
    • Educause - only as attendee, since there were no co-sponsors
  • Next Open edX meetup featuring Thai MOOCs and Cap-Net (UN Education Program) - register here: The Open edX Platform: Increasing Access to Underserved Learners
  • Next quarterly conference proposal: Bett in London
  • TOC nominations will start on August 29th - please look out for the blog announcement next Tuesday and help spread the word to get more voters involved
    • Looking for recommendation on voting apps - we used CIVS last time
      • We are looking for the following voter profiles:
      • Operator & Core Community Representative - elected by the project’s Core Contributors and Maintainers
      • Instructor Representative - elected by all individuals producing or running an active course on the Open edX platform
      • User/Learner Representative - elected by everyone using the Open edX platform in any capacity
  • OKR Review (starting at item 16): OKR´S MWG

:memo: Meeting notes

1.11. Maintainers

Chair: Edward Zarecor


:paperclip: Latest news


:memo: Meeting notes


Blockers or Calls/offers for help

1.12. Product Working Group

Chair: Jenna Makowski


:paperclip: Latest news

  • UX/UI Working Group
    • Jon Fay from 2U took us through the latest version of the designs for the new Studio Home page (feel free to leave comments and questions on the file). A few things we discussed:
      • the UX for filtering and sorting courses,
      • when course end dates should be displayed and when they might not be necessary,
      • what type of content is searched when the user enters text into the search bar.
    • Santiago from EduNext ran a mini usability test with Cassie from OpenCraft. The test focused on 2 of the main user flows within the Content Tagging MVP:
      • One: the flow in which content authors add tags to units,
      • Two: the flow in which users search the course outline.
        The test lead to some interesting realizations! EduNext will be conducting the same usability test with a handful of superusers, and Ali Hugo will then update the wireframes for the MVP accordingly.
  • Mobile Working Group
    • Since our last update, we have kicked off a number of projects in development and discovery. During our weekly meetings we have reviewed a number of documents as well focused on identifying the gaps between the edx mobile app and the new open edx mobile apps. Additional details below per project.
  • Mobile API Updates - #fc-0031-mobile-api-migration-axim-raccoongang
    • Development has started to update edx-platform and other services with the right API changes necessary to run the new open edx mobile application. (Approximate delivery date end of September.)
  • Quick Win Feature Gap Project - In Consideration
    • In consideration is a project that should close 13/38 of the feature gaps identified by edx mobile team relative to new open edx mobile apps. A few improvements to video experience (5/13), app upgrade messaging (3/13) and others are included here. Development sizing and product / design definition are in progress currently - Project - Quick Win Feature Gap List
  • Learning Site Selection - In Consideration
    • In queue for mobile development consideration, should allow for providers to build single apps for multiple open edx sites / clients to lower cost to offer a mobile experience to learners - Project - Learning Site Selection (FC-25a). Initial set of product requirements and design mockups available on project page for review.
  • Other projects in consideration that are earlier in the requirement definition process listed below:

:memo: Meeting notes

1.13. Security Working Group

Chair: Feanil Patel


:paperclip: Latest news


:memo: Meeting notes

1.14. TOC

Chair: Ed Zarecor


:memo: Meeting notes

1.15. Translation Working Group

Chair: Eden Huthmacher


:paperclip: Latest news

  • Next meeting: September 1st

:memo: Meeting notes


2. Events

  • LWMOOCs conference (October 11-13) is accepting Poster Submissions
    Reach out to Mary Ellen Wiltrout on Slack or via the LwMOOCs website: IEEE LwMOOCS 2023

Would anyone like to highlight any past or upcoming events? Let us know in the comments!


3. Projects

Are there any new or ongoing projects you’d like to discuss? Get the conversation started in the comments below.


4. Next async update and meetup

  • Tuesday Oct 3 - Join the meetup here!
  • Friday Oct 13 - Async update
  • Details and draft agenda on Confluence

:speech_balloon: Anything to add?

If there’s anything else you’d like to mention, please let us know in the comments below.

1 Like

Amazing summary thanks @Natalia_Choconta! Here is the latest Core Contributors retrospective. @antoviaque

Time contributed

A total of 206.25 hours have been contributed by 18 responders this sprint.

Do you need any help? Or is there anything you’d like to collaborate on? User
I cannot figure out what is the source of the problem in [ECOM > Create a course seat] > After creating course I am not able to open its detail page · Issue #301 · openedx/wg-build-test-release · GitHub
I can reproduce the problem, but the COURSE_ID_REGEX seems to validate the course session ending with 2000.02.
Pierre Mailhot
Still need someone with merge rights on opaque-keys to approve fix: type hints weren't installed properly, add type hints for Django Fields by bradenmacdonald · Pull Request #259 · openedx/opaque-keys · GitHub Braden
The gradebook MFE is broken (in master). We were able to fix it for our deployment by cherry-picking this open PR: fix: replace Field.Email reference for Field.Text by dcoa · Pull Request #345 · openedx/frontend-app-gradebook · GitHub Are there any core contributors with write permission on frontend-app-gradebook who could review?
We need a review of this frontend-app-learner-dashboard PR that fixes a branding issue: fix: get brand logo file path from env by shahbaz-shabbir05 · Pull Request #205 · openedx/frontend-app-learner-dashboard · GitHub (this will be necessary before we default this MFE to be on in the next release)
Peter Pinch
What should we improve? Any blockers? User
Not a new comment, but code contributors are still not familiar with the guidelines for annotating new settings (OEP-17). In this sprint, I just commented on another PR that was missing annotations Peter Pinch
What did you accomplish this sprint? User
Took part in the Aspects beta
redesigned the arch approach for flexible groups in the campus initiative
reviewed the Hide from TOC proposal
Reviewed PRs #33059 #33006 #33219
Felipe Montoya
I worked on Lowfi Wireframes for the LTI MVP. Cassie
Attended part of the Developer Experience Working Group meeting (Sep 11)
Attended the Open edX Community meetup (Sep 7)
Browsed through Slack and Discourse.
Translated / Reviewed strings for fr_CA in Transifex for the edx-platform project.
Got access to the openedx-translations project in Transifex. Translated / Reviewed strings for fr_CA in this project.
Because I am one of the only contributor with an instance of ecommerce I tried looking at [ECOM > Create a course seat] > After creating course I am not able to open its detail page · Issue #301 · openedx/wg-build-test-release · GitHub.
Pierre Mailhot
Merged feat: add support for picking storage config from settings by iamsobanjaved · Pull Request #344 · mitodl/edx-sga · GitHub and updated the SGA xBlock
debugging issues with persistent grades
debugging issues with communications MFE and gradebook MFE
Peter Pinch
Document and discussion of Hide From TOC feature Santiago Suarez
We launched the Aspects beta! Aspects Beta - Open edX Community - Open edX Community Wiki Brian Mesick
What do you plan to work on in the upcoming sprint? User
Translating and reviewing strings for fr_CA in Transifex.
Start looking at Quince since the cut for quince.master is now less than a month away.
Build-Test-Release Working Group meetup (Sep 18).
Translations Working Group meetup (Sep 20).
Browse through Slack and Discourse as usual.
Pierre Mailhot
I will likely continue my work on adding type hints to the platform. Braden
I’ll be on leave. Cassie
I hope we can resolve the plan for [DEPR]: xqueue and xqueue-watcher · Issue #214 · openedx/public-engineering · GitHub
Comment on https://discuss.openedx.org/t/feedback-on-open-edx-rest-apis/
Comment on Frontend Pluggability Summit
Peter Pinch
Pass this feature in the community product review Santiago Suarez
What went well this sprint? User
SGA release was quick and painless Peter Pinch
Aspects is looking great! kudos to the people working on it.
Great to see community product reviews in the pilot initiative of community product.
Felipe Montoya
People of the community participate in the discussion Santiago Suarez
Being able to see visuals of our LTI MVP goals through the wireframing process. Cassie

@Dean @Natalia_Choconta Thank you for the reports! :+1:

@jalondonot Maybe a solution to this would be to include someone from the BTR working groups in reviews of new repos & MFEs going forward? @itsjeyd Do we have a way to implement this for all PRs with our current processes? I’m guessing we currently only have a formal process for the OSPRs - but maybe we should have one for all PRs, to enable things like this?

Actually, another blocker reported by @pdpinch could also benefit from that:

We have talked about introducing a bot for helping to manage OSPRs - maybe it could help more broadly, by suggesting/pinging reviewers based on the code that’s being modified?

@braden Ah, you need a binding :+1: - I hadn’t realized that previously, I thought you only needed people to review and make comments. I’ve replied on the PR and pinged @itsjeyd for help: fix: type hints weren't installed properly, add type hints for Django Fields by bradenmacdonald · Pull Request #259 · openedx/opaque-keys · GitHub

@pdpinch I see that @Michelle_Philbrick is already on it, though it looks like we still don’t know who can review on this. Similarly to my comment above to Braden and @itsjeyd – do we have a way to tell who has commit rights and can give a binding :+1: on the repo? And @pdpinch any suggestions on who could be a good reviewer for the PR, even if they don’t have the rights yet? From Contributors to openedx/frontend-app-gradebook · GitHub I also notice that @kmccormick has some commits on it - maybe you can help? CC @arbrandes too since this is frontend.

@sambapete I see that you have been able to make progress on this, and got help from @regis - great! :+1:

Reviewed the first one, looking for a reviewer for the second! (If I don’t find one, I’ll do it myself.)

1 Like

Re: PR review processes

You’re right, we only have a formal process for OSPRs right now (at least as far as I’m aware).

In that context we could consider making it part of the workflow to ping members of BTR working groups on PRs for new repos and/or MFEs.

However, to avoid introducing another source of ambiguity with the potential of slowing things down, @Michelle_Philbrick and I would need a concise reference on who to ping for which repos/under which circumstances.

In terms of implementing something like this for all PRs, I’m not sure where I would start with that to be honest :sweat_smile: At least if we’re talking about manual steps to add to PR review workflows, I think it would be challenging to get all teams to adopt and consistently apply those to the repos that they own. Offloading this type of work to a bot (as you suggested) would probably be a better option here.

For completeness’ sake, we already have the openedx-webhooks · GitHub bot :slight_smile:

Re: specific PRs

This PR was merged in the meantime :ballot_box_with_check:

For frontend-app-learner dashboard, the Aurora team owns that repo and is slated to take on maintainership for it in the current phase of the maintainership pilot (final confirmation pending).

I pinged their main tech contact here.

As far as core contributors go, the wiki doesn’t mention anyone having access to the frontend-app-learner dashboard repo, specifically, but aside from Adolfo there are two more people with write access to frontend-all (Brian Smith and Viktor Rusakov); they might be able to help out.

For frontend-app-gradebook, Adolfo is already handling fix: replace Field.Email reference for Field.Text by dcoa · Pull Request #345 · openedx/frontend-app-gradebook · GitHub, but for future reference that repo is also owned by Aurora and confirmed to be maintained by them starting with the current phase of the maintainership pilot.

Aside from core contributors that are members of frontend-all, Sofiane Bebert has write access to the frontend-app-gradebook repo according to the wiki.

1 Like