Installation of ironwood.master on server

I am trying to install ironwood.master using native installation method by following this link: https://openedx.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/a/pages/146440579/Native+Open+edX+Ubuntu+16.04+64+bit+Installation

On my EC2 server, I am able to proceed and complete TASK [nginx : Install the nginx package].

But found Failed! in case of another server which even mets the same criteria as EC2 does.

Looking for help!

@wak120191, it’s better to copy text than to use screen shots. But: what version of Ubuntu is this?

Hi @nedbat

I am using ubuntu 16.04 for above both cases. Following is the error in text copied from console :

E: There were unauthenticated packages and -y was used without --allow-unauthenticated.TASK [nginx : Install the nginx package] ***************************************
fatal: [localhost]: FAILED! => {“cache_update_time”: 1571645302, “cache_updated”: true, “changed”: false, “failed”: true, “msg”: “’/usr/bin/apt-get -y -o “Dpkg::Options::=–force-confdef” -o “Dpkg::Options::=–force-confold” install ‘nginx’’ failed: E: There were unauthenticated packages and -y was used without --allow-unauthenticated\n”, “rc”: 100, “stderr”: “E: There were unauthenticated packages and -y was used without --allow-unauthenticated\n”, “stderr_lines”: [“E: There were unauthenticated packages and -y was used without --allow-unauthenticated”], “stdout”: “Reading package lists…\nBuilding dependency tree…\nReading state information…\nThe following NEW packages will be installed:\n nginx\n0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 26 not upgraded.\nNeed to get 839 kB of archives.\nAfter this operation, 3007 kB of additional disk space will be used.\nWARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!\n nginx\n”, “stdout_lines”: [“Reading package lists…”, “Building dependency tree…”, “Reading state information…”, “The following NEW packages will be installed:”, " nginx", “0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 26 not upgraded.”, “Need to get 839 kB of archives.”, “After this operation, 3007 kB of additional disk space will be used.”, “WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!”, " nginx"]}
to retry, use: --limit @/var/tmp/configuration/playbooks/openedx_native.retryPLAY RECAP *********************************************************************
localhost : ok=38 changed=5 unreachable=0 failed=1INFO:/var/tmp/configuration/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing: Update apt-get ------------------------------------------------------------------ 7.66s
INFO:/var/tmp/configuration/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing: Install the nginx package ------------------------------------------------------- 7.09s
INFO:/var/tmp/configuration/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing: Install role-independent useful system packages [2] ----------------------------- 6.72s
INFO:/var/tmp/configuration/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing: Install ubuntu system packages [1] ---------------------------------------------- 6.52s
INFO:/var/tmp/configuration/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing: pip install virtualenv [1] ------------------------------------------------------ 6.46s
INFO:/var/tmp/configuration/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing: Gathering Facts ----------------------------------------------------------------- 3.14s
INFO:/var/tmp/configuration/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing: Install packages ---------------------------------------------------------------- 1.55s
INFO:/var/tmp/configuration/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing: Copy the templates to their respestive destination [1] -------------------------- 1.55s
INFO:/var/tmp/configuration/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing: Add apt key --------------------------------------------------------------------- 1.25s
INFO:/var/tmp/configuration/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing: Update expired apt keys [1] ----------------------------------------------------- 0.97s
INFO:/var/tmp/configuration/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing:
Playbook Configure instance(s) finished: 2019-10-21 08:08:23.572689, 162 total tasks. 0:00:54.986047 elapsed.

For allow-unauthenticated I tried to make a change in Ansible task file \edx\etc\playbooks\roles\nginx\tasks\main.yml

• name: Install the nginx package
    apt:
    name: nginx
    state: latest
    update_cache: yes
    allow_unauthenticated: yes
    force: yes
    notify: restart nginx
    tags:
    • install
    • install:system-requirements

But no success yet!

I just realized this is a duplicate of the question you asked three days ago: Nginx error while installing open edX from ironwood.master release

Please don’t re-ask the same question. It just adds noise, and splits the efforts of people trying to help you.

I just tried installing ironwood.master on a fresh 16.04 machine on AWS, and it completed successfully. Something else must be different about your machine, though I don’t know what.

What else have you done on that machine since it was first booted?

Hi Mr @nedbat

Thank you so much for looking into this issue. Reason behind it was downloading of nginx package were disabled by this new server. I discovered it when I was trying to install nginx sepaerately for this new server. And I got response connection failed.

Ansible message

There were unauthenticated packages and -y was used without --allow-unauthenticated

wasn’t helpful to understand reason.

kindly help me that how u enable downloading on server i’ve same issue

Hi Nouman,

Try to install NGINX separately on server. And if it gives error right away it means there is some firewall or other blockage by server.

you can even get helped by this link : https://blog.lawrencemcdaniel.com/open-edx-installation/

1 Like