Introducing... The Open edX Build / Test / Release Working Group 🛠

Dear fellow Openedxers,

We are currently in the process of creating a community-powered working group focused on building, testing and publishing the Open edX named community releases (Ironwood, Juniper, etc.) and we are looking for volunteers to join this working group.

Wait, what’s a working group?

Broadly speaking, it’s a group of people with technical proficiency in Open edX who are willing to dedicate some amount of time for the global Open edX community.

How is this organized? Is there a hierarchy? How do we fund this?

To be perfectly honest, we don’t know exactly how this working group is going to be managed :sweat_smile: This question will be one of the first items on the working group agenda. This is learning by doing at its best!

That being said, there are three core principles that the working group will adhere to:

1. The working group will abide by the Open edX code of conduct.
  2. Open discussions: all communications should be done in the open, in a public way. For instance, we will avoid communication in private slack channels or emails.
  3. Participation will be subject to contribution: in other words, to be part of the decision process you will have to actually contribute work.

What’s the goal of the build/test/release working group?

I’m glad you asked! Our goal is to create more reliable, better documented, more sustainable Open edX community releases. EdX does not rely on community releases, internally, to power edx.org, so it makes sense for the rest of the community to step up and take responsibility for the release process.

For instance, here are some responsibilities that the working group could assume:

• Test upcoming releases
  • Making sure that the installation, upgrade and operation documentation remains up-to-date
  • Continuous testing of community releases to make sure that there are no regression
  • Coordinate with edX on the project roadmap
  • … and generally speaking, all things related to the named community releases.

That’s great! Where do I sign?

Thanks for your interest :wink: Just reply to this topic. We’ll organise a conference call pretty soon.

Wait, who did you say you were?

Hi! :wave: I’m Régis Behmo. I’ve been part of the Open edX community since 2015 (Cypress) and the creator of Tutor, the Docker-based Open edX distribution. I’m French :fr: and live in a beautiful village of the Hautes-Alpes.

I’m looking forward to meet you y’all!

4 Likes