Cairn password reset

We have cairn running with the Tutor Wizard edition. I have created a user very long ago, but I forgot the password. Now I can’t figure out how to do a reset. What I’ve tried:

Re-running the createuser step (there seems to be no other helpful subcommand in the cairn binary)

I get this output:

tutor@staging:~$ tutor local run cairn-superset cairn createuser --admin maarten maarten@example.com
docker-compose -f /home/tutor/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.yml -f /home/tutor/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.prod.yml -f /home/tutor/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.tmp.yml --project-name tutor_local run --rm cairn-superset cairn createuser --admin maarten maarten@example.com
Starting tutor_local_cairn-postgresql-permissions_1 ... done
Creating tutor_local_cairn-superset_run             ... done
Loaded your LOCAL configuration at [/app/superset_config.py]
logging was configured successfully
2022-09-07 09:14:29,738:INFO:root:Configured event logger of type <class 'superset.utils.log.DBEventLogger'>
Creating database reference for maarten
Creating user 'maarten'...
Password: 
2022-09-07 09:15:11,729:ERROR:flask_appbuilder.security.sqla.manager:Error adding new user to database. (psycopg2.errors.UniqueViolation) duplicate key value violates unique constraint "ab_user_email_key"
DETAIL:  Key (email)=(maarten@example.com) already exists.

[SQL: INSERT INTO ab_user (id, first_name, last_name, username, password, active, email, last_login, login_count, fail_login_count, created_on, changed_on, created_by_fk, changed_by_fk) VALUES (nextval('ab_user_id_seq'), %(first_name)s, %(last_name)s, %(username)s, %(password)s, %(active)s, %(email)s, %(last_login)s, %(login_count)s, %(fail_login_count)s, %(created_on)s, %(changed_on)s, %(created_by_fk)s, %(changed_by_fk)s) RETURNING ab_user.id]
[parameters: {'first_name': '', 'last_name': '', 'username': 'maarten', 'password': 'pbkdf2:sha256:150000$fXRKLcz0$28cb3713b60ec48b8e5ab7b3a70eaecc8de28da97233e847c6e5ee41eadb204b', 'active': True, 'email': 'maarten@example.com', 'last_login': None, 'login_count': None, 'fail_login_count': None, 'created_on': datetime.datetime(2022, 9, 7, 9, 15, 11, 718692), 'changed_on': datetime.datetime(2022, 9, 7, 9, 15, 11, 718721), 'created_by_fk': None, 'changed_by_fk': None}]
(Background on this error at: http://sqlalche.me/e/13/gkpj)
Syncing maarten perms
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/scripts/cairn", line 286, in <module>
    main()
  File "/scripts/cairn", line 90, in main
    args.func(args)
  File "/scripts/cairn", line 144, in bootstrap_user
    if role in user.roles:
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'roles'
ERROR: 1

I also don’t see a button in the login screen to reset my password, and there doesn’t seem to be a way for my colleague who can login to reset my password from within the interface either. What do I do?

Not a UI based operation, but you can accomplish this via the Django shell.

tutor dev run lms ./manage.py lms shell

And following these instructions.

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/4.1/topics/auth/default/#changing-passwords

Thanks for the reply, that’s helpful as a workaround.

However, I would really expect that password reset would be included in a paid Tutor plugin. We’re planning on sharing Cairn credentials with people that run courses with us, so I would prefer not to have to enter the Django shell on production each time they forget their password.

By the way I’m also not sure if this would work. I think I’d have to go into the superset container rather than the lms container, right?

Ah, I misunderstood your need, my suggestion won’t help you. I’m not a tutor developer, so I’ll leave this to one of them.

Hi @MaartenGH,
Resetting a user password is indeed a feature of Cairn. The fact that the createuser script is crashing is a bug.

What version of Tutor and the Cairn plugin are you running?

$ tutor --version
tutor, version 14.0.5
$ cat ~/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tutorcairn/__about__.py 
__version__ = "14.0.1"

Not sure how to check the cairn plugin version, but I guess this works.

The error seems to be due to the fact that you are attempting to create a user with a different username but with the same email address as an existing user. In other words, ‘maarten@example.com’ is already present in the system but it is not associated to user “maarten”. Can you please check what is the correct username?

Of course, in such a scenario the script should not be crashing with an obscure error message. But if you confirm that this is the right diagnostic then I can work to improve the error management in that case.

I actually overwrote the database that I had this problem with the first time, but yes I can reproduce the issue as follows:

1. tutor local run cairn-clickhouse cairn createuser maarten
  2. tutor local run cairn-superset cairn createuser --admin maarten maarten@example.com
  3. tutor local run cairn-superset cairn createuser --admin maarten2 maarten@example.com

The third command leads to the same error.

Right. Command 3 confirms that the problem comes from the fact that the user already exists. I incorrectly assumed that the add_user command would fail if the user could not be created, as indicated by the “ERROR:flask_appbuilder.security.sqla.manager:Error adding new user to database.” message. Instead, the add_user command just returns False. I’ll add a check and release v14.0.2 now.