Error while installing devstack

Hi,

I have been trying to install OpenEdx on an Ubuntu machine with version 16.04 LTS.
I am following the devstack instructions provided here https://github.com/edx/devstack/tree/master

I tried installing ironwood.2 devstack but it did not pull the relevant images.

The only progress I made was when I install the master branch. Though i still receive an error while running dev.provision

The notes service does not need staticfiles to be compiled. Skipping.
Creating indexes for edx_notes_api...
Unknown command: 'rebuild_index'
Type 'manage.py help' for usage.
Makefile:216: recipe for target 'dev.provision' failed
make: *** [dev.provision] Error 1

The studio and lms boot up when i hit make dev.up but the lms dashboard gives me the below error

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 Like

There was a bug introduced by a change in edx-notes-api. There are some folks working on it, but I donā€™t think they have a complete fix yet:

Which is the last stable version that i should try to install so that I do not face this bug?

Iā€™ve been trying to figure that out for myself. I havenā€™t been successful finding a recent combination of versions that will provision correctly.

You can go back to the Juniper release, which is the only officially supported release. Running make provision was successful for me with Juniper.

Ive been trying to install the juniper.1 release but the checkout script fails

make dev.checkout
./repo.sh checkout
Checking out branch open-release/juniper.1 of course-discovery
Makefile:114: recipe for target ā€˜dev.checkoutā€™ failed

Any help with this would be great

You should always use the master branch of the named release, to be sure you pick up any bug fixes.

In this case, use juniper.master.

Donā€™t use juniper.1, juniper.2 or juniper.3

received the following error message when provisioning open-release/koa.master for Devstack. Does the commit that you mentioned above need to be also included in koa?

2021-06-02 17:58:45,491 INFO 4817 [openedx.core.djangoapps.oauth_dispatch.management.commands.create_dot_application] [user None] [ip None] create_dot_application.py:82 - Created edx_notes_api-backend-service application with id: 10, client_id: edx_notes_api-backend-service-key, and client_secret: edx_notes_api-backend-service-secret
+ echo -e 'Compiling static assets for edx_notes_api...'
-e Compiling static assets for edx_notes_api...
+ docker-compose exec edx_notes_api bash -c 'source /edx/app/$1/$1_env && cd /edx/app/$1/$1/ && make static' -- edx_notes_api
The notes service does not need staticfiles to be compiled. Skipping.
Creating indexes for edx_notes_api...
Unknown command: 'search_index'. Did you mean clear_index?
Type 'manage.py help' for usage.
make: *** [dev.provision] Error 1

When I look at the makefile in edx-notes-api for target create-index it indicates rebuild_index as the argument.

cc: @Zachary_Trabookis

@becdavid, this is a known issue with the koa devstack. The workaround we use at Opencraft is simply not deploy edx-notes-api: we rarely need it.

2 Likes

Thanks @arbrandes. Hope all is well.

1 Like

Additional info for anyone who stumbles onto this in the future:
In order to skip provisioning the edx-notes-api, add a file options.local.mk and override the DEFAULT_SERVICES option.

DEFAULT_SERVICES ?= credentials+discovery+ecommerce+forum+frontend-app-publisher+frontend-app-learning+gradebook+lms+studio
1 Like