Failed to publish commerce data LMS

Hi,

I just deployed and configured the eCommerce application using the following guides:

How to Install and Start the E-Commerce Service in Native Installations
Open edX Ecommerce

Everything seems to work properly but when I try to create a new Course in the eCommerce platform, using this guide (https://readthedocs.org/projects/edx-ecommerce/downloads/pdf/latest/) I get the following error:

Failed to publish commerce data for course-v1:csX+CS101x+2020_T1 to LMS

I reviewed the eCommerce log in /edx/var/logs/ecommerce/edx.log and I didn’t find anything meaningful to me. Here is a portion of the log:
Exception: Failed to publish commerce data for course-v1:csX+CS101x+2020_T1 to LMS.
Mar 3 20:05:45 PROD-OpenEDX-VM01 [service_variant=ecommerce][django.request] WARNING [PROD-OpenEDX-VM01 25161] [/edx/app/ecommerce/venvs/ecommerce/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py:152] - Not Found: /api/v2/courses/course-v1:csX+CS101x+2020_T1/
Mar 3 20:05:45 PROD-OpenEDX-VM01 [service_variant=ecommerce][django.request] WARNING [PROD-OpenEDX-VM01 25161] [/edx/app/ecommerce/venvs/ecommerce/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py:152] - Not Found: /api/v2/courses/course-v1:csX+CS101x+2020_T1/
Mar 3 20:07:24 PROD-OpenEDX-VM01 [service_variant=ecommerce][django.request] WARNING [PROD-OpenEDX-VM01 25160] [/edx/app/ecommerce/venvs/ecommerce/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py:152] - Not Found: /api/v2/courses/course-v1:csX+CS101x+2020_T1/
Mar 3 20:07:24 PROD-OpenEDX-VM01 [service_variant=ecommerce][django.request] WARNING [PROD-OpenEDX-VM01 25160] [/edx/app/ecommerce/venvs/ecommerce/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py:152] - Not Found: /api/v2/courses/course-v1:csX+CS101x+2020_T1/
Mar 3 20:07:25 PROD-OpenEDX-VM01 [service_variant=ecommerce][ecommerce.courses.models] INFO [PROD-OpenEDX-VM01 25160] [/edx/app/ecommerce/ecommerce/ecommerce/courses/models.py:212] - Course seat product with certificate type [honor] for [course-v1:csX+CS101x+2020_T1] does not exist. Instantiated a new instance.
Mar 3 20:07:25 PROD-OpenEDX-VM01 [service_variant=ecommerce][ecommerce.courses.models] INFO [PROD-OpenEDX-VM01 25160] [/edx/app/ecommerce/ecommerce/ecommerce/courses/models.py:256] - Course seat product stock record with certificate type [honor] for [course-v1:csX+CS101x+2020_T1] does not exist. Instantiated a new instance.
Mar 3 20:07:25 PROD-OpenEDX-VM01 [service_variant=ecommerce][ecommerce.courses.models] INFO [PROD-OpenEDX-VM01 25160] [/edx/app/ecommerce/ecommerce/ecommerce/courses/models.py:205] - Retrieved course seat child product with certificate type [honor] for [course-v1:csX+CS101x+2020_T1] from database.
Mar 3 20:07:25 PROD-OpenEDX-VM01 [service_variant=ecommerce][ecommerce.courses.models] INFO [PROD-OpenEDX-VM01 25160] [/edx/app/ecommerce/ecommerce/ecommerce/courses/models.py:247] - Retrieved course seat product stock record with certificate type [honor] for [course-v1:csX+CS101x+2020_T1] from database.
Mar 3 20:07:25 PROD-OpenEDX-VM01 [service_variant=ecommerce][ecommerce.courses.publishers] ERROR [PROD-OpenEDX-VM01 25160] [/edx/app/ecommerce/ecommerce/ecommerce/courses/publishers.py:112] - Failed to publish commerce data for [course-v1:csX+CS101x+2020_T1] to LMS.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/edx/app/ecommerce/ecommerce/ecommerce/courses/publishers.py”, line 100, in publish
commerce_api_client = site.siteconfiguration.commerce_api_client
File “/edx/app/ecommerce/venvs/ecommerce/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/utils/functional.py”, line 35, in get
res = instance.dict[self.name] = self.func(instance)
File “/edx/app/ecommerce/ecommerce/ecommerce/core/models.py”, line 457, in commerce_api_client
return EdxRestApiClient(self.build_lms_url(’/api/commerce/v1/’), jwt=self.access_token)
File “/edx/app/ecommerce/ecommerce/ecommerce/core/models.py”, line 384, in access_token
token_type=‘jwt’
File “/edx/app/ecommerce/venvs/ecommerce/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/edx_rest_api_client/client.py”, line 142, in get_oauth_access_token
return get_oauth_access_token(url, client_id, client_secret, token_type=token_type)
File “/edx/app/ecommerce/venvs/ecommerce/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/edx_rest_api_client/client.py”, line 76, in get_oauth_access_token
data = response.json()
File “/edx/app/ecommerce/venvs/ecommerce/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/requests/models.py”, line 897, in json
return complexjson.loads(self.text, **kwargs)
File “/edx/app/ecommerce/venvs/ecommerce/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/simplejson/init.py”, line 518, in loads
return _default_decoder.decode(s)
File “/edx/app/ecommerce/venvs/ecommerce/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/simplejson/decoder.py”, line 370, in decode
obj, end = self.raw_decode(s)
File “/edx/app/ecommerce/venvs/ecommerce/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/simplejson/decoder.py”, line 400, in raw_decode
return self.scan_once(s, idx=_w(s, idx).end())
JSONDecodeError: Expecting value: line 9 column 1 (char 8)
Mar 3 20:07:25 PROD-OpenEDX-VM01 [service_variant=ecommerce][ecommerce.extensions.api.serializers] ERROR [PROD-OpenEDX-VM01 25160] [/edx/app/ecommerce/ecommerce/ecommerce/extensions/api/serializers.py:585] - Failed to save and publish [course-v1:csX+CS101x+2020_T1]: [Failed to publish commerce data for course-v1:csX+CS101x+2020_T1 to LMS.]
File “/edx/app/ecommerce/ecommerce/ecommerce/extensions/api/serializers.py”, line 582, in save
raise Exception(resp_message)
Exception: Failed to publish commerce data for course-v1:csX+CS101x+2020_T1 to LMS.

If I try to access directly to https://ecommerce.cs.org/api/v2/courses/course-v1:csX+CS101x+2020_T1/ I get a “Not found error” so I think that the course is never created before to publish to the LMS. The course already exists in the LMS. I get the same result if I try the same process with a new course that does not exist on the LMS.

Any idea about what could be happening here?

Thanks in advance!!

@santifdezmunoz We are two to have the same issue.
I am getting almost the same output as yours in ecommerce logs.

The same will happen when you try to edit an existing course (DemoX) in ecommerce > Course Admin

Same environment : Open edX Native (production).

All I know is there’s an authentication error between ecommerce and LMS.
If you check LMS logs you’d probably get this same error :

2020-03-04 08:34:59,425 ERROR 7728 [django.request] exception.py:135 - Internal Server Error: /oauth2/access_token
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py", line 41, in inner
    response = get_response(request)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py", line 249, in _legacy_get_response
    response = self._get_response(request)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py", line 187, in _get_response
    response = self.process_exception_by_middleware(e, request)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py", line 185, in _get_response
    response = wrapped_callback(request, *callback_args, **callback_kwargs)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/utils/decorators.py", line 185, in inner
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/views/decorators/csrf.py", line 58, in wrapped_view
    return view_func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/views/generic/base.py", line 68, in view
    return self.dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/edx-platform/openedx/core/djangoapps/oauth_dispatch/views.py", line 100, in dispatch
    response = super(AccessTokenView, self).dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ratelimit/mixins.py", line 58, in dispatch
    )(super(RatelimitMixin, self).dispatch)(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ratelimit/decorators.py", line 30, in _wrapped
    return fn(*args, **kw)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/edx-platform/openedx/core/djangoapps/oauth_dispatch/views.py", line 55, in dispatch
    return view(request, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/views/generic/base.py", line 68, in view
    return self.dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/provider/views.py", line 136, in dispatch
    response = super(OAuthView, self).dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/views/generic/base.py", line 88, in dispatch
    return handler(request, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/provider/views.py", line 716, in post
    return handler(request, request.POST, client)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/provider/views.py", line 662, in client_credentials
    return self.access_token_response(at)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/provider/views.py", line 583, in access_token_response
    response_data = self.access_token_response_data(access_token, nonce=nonce)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/edx_oauth2_provider/views.py", line 129, in access_token_response_data
    id_token = self.get_id_token(access_token, nonce)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/edx_oauth2_provider/views.py", line 153, in get_id_token
    return oidc.id_token(access_token, nonce, claims_request)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/edx_oauth2_provider/oidc/core.py", line 96, in id_token
    claims_request=claims_request_section,
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/edx_oauth2_provider/oidc/collect.py", line 79, in collect
    values=claims_request or {}
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/edx_oauth2_provider/oidc/collect.py", line 134, in _collect_values
    _visit_handlers(handlers, visitor, 'claim', names)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/edx_oauth2_provider/oidc/collect.py", line 189, in _visit_handlers
    results.append(visitor(suffix, func))
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/edx_oauth2_provider/oidc/collect.py", line 128, in visitor
    claim_value = func(data)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/edx-platform/lms/djangoapps/oauth2_handler/handlers.py", line 61, in claim_name
    profile = UserProfile.objects.get(user=user)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/manager.py", line 85, in manager_method
    return getattr(self.get_queryset(), name)(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 380, in get
    self.model._meta.object_name
DoesNotExist: UserProfile matching query does not exist.

Note this error does not occur in devstack. I’ve switched from devstack to Native in order to prepare for a real deployment.

Does anybody have a clue,

Best Regards

@santifdezmunoz i’ve found a solution to my issue.
If you check LMS logs and get the same error as I mentioned if my previous reply :

DoesNotExist: UserProfile matching query does not exist.

Then I have the solution for you.

Reason

• When ecommerce service publishes course data to LMS, it uses the ecommerce_worker user to perform operations, instead of your current user logged-in to ecommerce.
  • As the error above dictates, the user ecommerce_worker has no defined UserProfile object.
  • This error occurs only in production, while in devstack the existence of a User Profil is not required.

Solution (works only in production)

• Go to LMS Django Admin > Authentication > Users
  • Select ecommerce_worker to edit
  • Scroll down to User Profile (inline field) and add some info (at least a name like ‘E-commerce Worker’.
  • Save your edits.

If the error persists in ecommerce, then you should check again LMS logs and find the new error which prevents the operation from working correctly.

1 Like

@ARMBouhali I would also recommend giving the ecommerceworker user staff privileges

@kribby Not sure if this is necessary for this issue, but it’s worth trying whenever there is an issue related to privileges or authorizations.

1 Like

Hi @ARMBouhali,

Thanks for your answer but unfortunatelly my error is a little bit diferent. What I’m getting in my LMS.log is
ValueError: No JSON object could be decoded
So your solution didn’t worked for me.

Anyway, thanks again for your comments.

Bests

I’ve met this error when I was trying to solve my issue above and I know it’s related to JWT authentication.
After googling the text error from both ecommerce and lms, I found this page

It suggests to edit in lms.env.json :

"JWT_PUBLIC_SIGNING_JWK_SET": null
1 Like

Thanks so much @ARMBouhali,

Seems it worked. I say seems because now I get a “You do not have permission to perform this action.” error, but I think this is just a matter of playing a little bit with the permissions.

Thanks!

i have tried set JWT_PUBLIC_SIGNING_JWK_SET": null,But The problem is still not resolved.

The log content is as follows(lms/edx.log):

paginator = self.django_paginator_class(queryset, page_size)
Mar 23 15:09:44 ip-172-31-42-57 [service_variant=lms][edx_rest_framework_extensions.auth.jwt.middleware][env:sandbox] WARNING [ip-172-31-42-57  18482] [middleware.py:62] - The view CourseRetrieveUpdateView allows Jwt Authentication but needs to include the NotJwtRestrictedApplication permission class (adding it for you)

Can anyone help me? Thank you!