Fresh error in Tutor 17.0.0 and 17.0.3

Today I tried to build mfe image (tutor images build mfe) and I started getting errors like these:

------
 > git://github.com/openedx/frontend-app-ora-grading.git#open-release/quince.1:
0.796 c644da3dccc4e3ecaa561fe73581c011f54f03cb  refs/tags/open-release/quince.1
------
------
 > git://github.com/openedx/frontend-app-course-authoring.git#open-release/quince.1:
------
------
 > git://github.com/openedx/frontend-app-communications.git#open-release/quince.1:
------
------
 > git://github.com/openedx/frontend-app-account.git#open-release/quince.1:
------
ERROR: failed to solve: failed to load cache key: repository does not contain ref open-release/quince.1, output:

It happens with both 17.0.0 and the latest 17.0.3. Any ideas? For the information, I did docker system prune -a, and it still happens.

I have the same error! It worked just yesterday and now it does not!

after I try tutor images build mfe I get:

ERROR: failed to solve: failed to load cache key: repository does not contain ref open-release/quince.1, output: ""
Error: Command failed with status 1: docker buildx build --tag=docker.io/overhangio/openedx-mfe:17.0.0 --output=type=docker --cache-from=type=registry,ref=docker.io/overhangio/openedx-mfe:17.0.0-cache --build-context=authn-src=/home/silidrone/.local/share/tutor/frontend-app-authn --build-context=learning-src=/home/silidrone/.local/share/tutor/frontend-app-learning --build-context=learner-dashboard-src=/home/silidrone/.local/share/tutor/frontend-app-learner-dashboard /home/silidrone/.local/share/tutor/env/plugins/mfe/build/mfe

Someone DEFINITELY made breaking changes!

I think this is a GitHub issue. The open-release/quince.1 tag does exist for the frontend-app-account repo: Release open-release/quince.1 · openedx/frontend-app-account · GitHub

Can you please confirm that “tutor images build mfe” works for you? I tested on 5 different machines in 3 different regions and it stopped working on all of them 2 days ago and it still doesn’t work. There was no code or config change on 4 of those machines.

Also when I run tutor dev launch for example I get this:

=> ERROR git://github.com/edx/frontend-app-ecommerce.git#open-release/quince.1                                                                                                                 0.7s
 => [base 1/4] FROM docker.io/library/node:18.19.0-bullseye-slim@sha256:6089d97d625bc7c3510f6c3ada72b3e80e383fee52ff340fadc6eabeeaf9e889                                                        0.0s
------
 > git://github.com/edx/frontend-app-ecommerce.git#open-release/quince.1:
------
ERROR: failed to solve: failed to load cache key: repository does not contain ref open-release/quince.1, output: ""

Also, on github there is no such tag for the repo git://github.com/edx/frontend-app-ecommerce.git, actually there are no tags at all.

Seems that issue is in the URL. The Dockerfile uses /edx/ path which has no tags while the correct one is /openedx.
This one has tags: GitHub - openedx/frontend-app-ecommerce: Open edX micro-frontend application for managing e-commerce information.
This one has not: GitHub - edx/frontend-app-ecommerce: Open edX micro-frontend application for managing e-commerce information.
And URLs in Dockerfiles are the one which has no tags (/edx/).

Regarding links which are /opnedx/ like this one:

If I run:

git clone --branch open-release/quince.1 --depth 1   https://github.com/openedx/frontend-app-gradebook.git

It works, but when I run tutor images build mfe it fails with:
ERROR: failed to solve: failed to load cache key: repository does not contain ref open-release/quince.1, output: “”

This is really weird, anyone has any idea?

This would be due to 2U forking some repos to edX org. A PR is up in tutor-ecommerce to update the urls fix: point ecommerce MFEs to openedx org by christopappas · Pull Request #74 · overhangio/tutor-ecommerce · GitHub

It would have been really helpful if you had told us from the start that the ecommerce plugin was enabled, or if you had included the full error log…

I couldn’t isolate it so easily because I have separate issue which seems to affect only me. Other git repos are not working for me when I start build but they work when I try them outside Dockerfile. Also as I said it is happening on multiple machines without me changing anything in the code base. Not sure if this ecommerce git issue could cause cascade fail of others and that error output is misleading.

Actually I can see other people reporting that they cannot build MFE too, so this is actual issue.

This is fixed now in the ecommerce plugin as well as tags are added to the old repos so it works with the old plugin for the time being too. Thanks all!