How do I hide a course from the "Discover new" section?

Good afternoon!
I have a course that is in the process of being developed, and I want it not to be visible. I set “Course Visibility In Catalog” as “none” for course → settings → advanced settings,

and in the admin panel in the “Site configuration” section I added a item with value

{
"COURSE_CATALOG_VISIBILITY_PERMISSION":"see_in_catalog",
"COURSE_ABOUT_VISIBILITY_PERMISSION":"see_about_page",
"DEFAULT_COURSE_VISIBILITY_IN_CATALOG":"about"
}

But the course is still displayed in “discover new”. Also added to lms.env.json

"COURSE_CATALOG_VISIBILITY_PERMISSION": "see_in_catalog",
"COURSE_ABOUT_VISIBILITY_PERMISSION": "see_about_page",

And restarted docker with the “systemctl restart docker” command
however, this does not work either. What else can I try?

Hi @shepel.a.m ! Welcome to the forum!!

Maybe it’s because you are logged in as a user that is admin or course staff. Try with a regular user. The “Visibility in Catalog” advance setting should be enough to hide a course if set to “none”.

2 Likes

@andres Thanks for the quick response!
Unfortunately, no, I’m testing by a regular user who does not have access to any of the courses, but I can still see them in “Discovery new” (I expect to see only 1 of 2, because one has Visibility in Catalog: none)

I was able to solve this by changing the start Date & end Date, setting them in the past. Then the course is considered completed and is not shown on the Discover new page

3 Likes

@shepel.a.m That’s a smart workaround since in the /courses page (discovery) only “available” courses are displayed. But what about the LMS home page before sign in? The course might still be displaying there?

May I ask which version of Open edX you are using? Is it Maple or?