Ironwood.master Devstack Installation Fails

I’m installing on a Ubuntu 18 Google Cloud with (i believe) all the prerequisite met. It seemed to have gone well to the end when it threw up these messages below. I will appreciate any directions on what when wrong and how i can resolve it.

Thanks

" **files and directories currently installed**.)", "Preparing to unpack .../resolvconf_1.78ubuntu7_all
.deb ...", "Unpacking resolvconf (1.78ubuntu7) ...", "Processing triggers for systemd (229-4ubuntu17) ...", "Settin
g up resolvconf (1.78ubuntu7) ...", "ln: cannot remove '/etc/resolv.conf': Device or resource busy", "dpkg: error p
rocessing package resolvconf (--configure):", " subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit s
tatus 1", "Processing triggers for systemd (229-4ubuntu17) ...", "Errors were encountered while processing:", " res
olvconf"]}
        **to retry, use: --limit @/edx/app/edx_ansible/edx_ansible/playbooks/demo.retry**
PLAY RECAP ********************************************************************************************************
127.0.0.1                  : ok=17   changed=3    unreachable=0    failed=1   
INFO:ansible.plugins.callback./edx/app/edx_ansible/edx_ansible/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing: Install role
-independent useful system packages --------------------------------- 9.11s
INFO:ansible.plugins.callback./edx/app/edx_ansible/edx_ansible/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing: Install ubun
tu system packages -------------------------------------------------- 6.49s
INFO:ansible.plugins.callback./edx/app/edx_ansible/edx_ansible/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing: Gathering Fa
cts ----------------------------------------------------------------- 1.07s
INFO:ansible.plugins.callback./edx/app/edx_ansible/edx_ansible/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing: Update CA Ce
rtificates ---------------------------------------------------------- 0.93s
INFO:ansible.plugins.callback./edx/app/edx_ansible/edx_ansible/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing: Add common_u
sers ---------------------------------------------------------------- 0.79s
INFO:ansible.plugins.callback./edx/app/edx_ansible/edx_ansible/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing: Grant full s
udo access to the edxadmin group ------------------------------------ 0.77s
INFO:ansible.plugins.callback./edx/app/edx_ansible/edx_ansible/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing: Update expir
ed apt keys --------------------------------------------------------- 0.76s
INFO:ansible.plugins.callback./edx/app/edx_ansible/edx_ansible/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing: Add edX PPA 
apt key ------------------------------------------------------------- 0.71s
INFO:ansible.plugins.callback./edx/app/edx_ansible/edx_ansible/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing: Add git apt 
repository ---------------------------------------------------------- 0.63s
INFO:ansible.plugins.callback./edx/app/edx_ansible/edx_ansible/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing: Check for ex
pired edx key ------------------------------------------------------- 0.50s
INFO:ansible.plugins.callback./edx/app/edx_ansible/edx_ansible/playbooks/callback_plugins/task_timing:
Playbook Deploy demo course finished: 2019-11-27 20:23:37.425273, 50 total tasks.  0:00:26.166122 elapsed. 
Makefile:59: recipe for target 'dev.provision.run' failed
make: *** [dev.provision.run] Error 2"

Hello @startoffs, and welcome to the Open edX community!

Can you provider further information on how did you get to this point? This will help other understand what you are trying to achieve and better help you.

For instance, to provision an ironwood.master devstack, I’d usually:

$ cd devstack
$ git checkout open-release/ironwood.master && git pull
$ export OPENEDX_RELEASE=ironwood.master
$ make dev.clone
$ make pull
$ make dev.provision.run

Cheers!

It came in the last stage (make dev.provision).
I didn’t make pull. Also, is it supposed to be “make dev.provision” or "make dev.provision.pro88

The error came at the last stage (make dev.provision)

I used the above, not make dev.provision.run.

Thanks

@startoffs, can you try manually running the command corresponding to the task that failed? I am unable to see the details of the task in the output you have shared.

Also, are you using a vanilla Ubuntu 16.04 image on GCP?

A quick search on the internet for your issue lead me to a StackOverflow post and a Docker bug. Can you check those out and see if any of the possible solutions posted there work for you?

Hello,

Thanks. I will follow up on the two suggestions.

@startoffs The issue was likely introduced in this PR which was merged a few days ago. If you can pin your configuration repo to a revision before that PR was merged, you should be fine.

Update: https://github.com/edx/configuration/pull/5543 created to revert.

1 Like

I’m confused about the details here. The original post mentioned GCP, and shows Ansible play output. But the title is about devstack?

My intention was to install Devstack Edx (ironwood) on an instance of Ubuntu 18 on Google Cloud (because I’m more familiar with GC).

Okay, the following was the process that I took .

I preinstalled the requirements ( docker, make, Python environment) .

I then started the Devstack Edx install and it appeared to be okay until the make provision stage .

I

Hey there!

There was a small issue in one of the docker images, which has already been fixed. You might want to try this process again by running:

$ make pull && make dev.provision

I’m just curious on what’s your use case here. The devstack is commonly used for development and we don’t see a lot of remote deployments. Do you mean to have a native installation?

Cheers!

My challenge was to learn how to get Open Edx working on Ubuntu 18 since Ubuntu 16 has reached end of life.

I see. EdX is still working on supporting 18.04, only 16.04 is supported right now. You can find further information on installing to 16.04 here.

Notice that there you’ll have a native installation. If running a devstack, docker will pull the correct Ubuntu images to setup the environment.

Ubuntu 16.04 is supported for more than another year. As a long-term support (LTS) release, Ubuntu supports it for five years, or until April 2021.

BTW, here is our chart of the support windows for the software the Open edX components rely on.

4 Likes