Launching tutor locally

Hi Team, I am getting below error while launching tutor locally using command “sudo tutor local launch”.

error:-
docker compose -f /home/myLaptop/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.yml -f /home/myLaptop/.local/share/tutor/env/dev/docker-compose.yml --project-name tutor_dev stop
validating /home/myLaptop/.local/share/tutor/env/dev/docker-compose.yml: services.cms.volumes array items[0,6] must be unique
Error applying action: func=<function _stop_on_local_start at 0x7f3f2bf10280> contexts=
Error: Command failed with status 15: docker compose -f /home/myLaptop/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.yml -f /home/myLaptop/.local/share/tutor/env/dev/docker-compose.yml --project-name tutor_dev stop

Hi, it relates to docker compose version. Please see docker compose validations fail with docker-compose-plugin > 2.21 · Issue #992 · overhangio/tutor · GitHub. Furthermore, why are you using sudo to run tutor? Ideally, you should not do it to run tutor. It should run without it.

Actually, I believe the error comes from some incorrect volume configuration:

validating /home/myLaptop/.local/share/tutor/env/dev/docker-compose.yml: services.cms.volumes array items[0,6] must be unique

Can you paste here the content of /home/myLaptop/.local/share/tutor/env/dev/docker-compose.yml?

Also, please follow Dawoud’s suggestion to not run as root.

This previous weekend, I encountered this same problem (error code 15 for yaml files) with a brand-new Tutor Open edX instance (Palm 4 release, v16.1.8). After extensive troubleshooting over two days, on the Docker, Tutor, Openedx forums, Stackoverflow and respective Github repo issues it seems the root cause is a compatibility issue with Docker’s latest version, likely originating from v25.

I tested the YAML configuration files and found no errors. These tests also included fresh installations on both Ubuntu 20 and 22, while other dependencies, software, networking, system resources being controlled/monitored, each performed twice. The issue appears to be specifically related to the ./dev/docker-compose.yml file. When executing ‘docker compose up’ on the ./local/docker-compose.yml file, there are no conflicts, and the build process initiates smoothly. I would recommend trying with Docker v24 (I successfully installed it using 24.0.7-1~ubuntu.20.04~focal – on a VM).

Although further extensive troubleshooting and confirmation from more experienced professionals, such as yourself, Regis, would be beneficial.