Tech talk/demo: Deploying multiple Open edX instances onto a Kubernetes Cluster with Tutor

I have been trying to follow this discussion as it develops, but It was going faster than I could focus on it to reply with some of our thoughts from edunext.

Both this thread and the cloud architecture for aws are very profound and the collaboration that is emerging is great. However I sense that it is focusing precisely on the part of the issue that will be more difficult to agree on.

Things like:

• using the same gitlab, github, bitbucket or any other git service + CI combination
  • tenancy decisions: one install per cluster, install per namespace, multiple tenants per install
  • the infrastructure we will run the openedx services in (aws, digital ocean, azure, …)
  • how to sync the k8s manifest with the cluster

Also in my view, although the infrastructure provisioning can be a painful thing. It most often ends quite rapidly and you are good for a relatively long while. This is even more so once the switch to k8s is made. Provisioning the cluster is a one time thing, but keeping up with the manifest and what is inside of the cluster is what requires attention for longer. This was the initial idea we started with when we set up to develop shipyard at edunext.

I might as well be wrong on this and the push to make a reference installation starting from the cloud components and using terraform might be the way to go. I won’t stand in the way and we will undoubtedly collaborate on it and bring the experience that we have gathered to it. However I’d like to comment on a different approach. We have for years already agreed on good practices and patterns that we can leverage on for this:

• open/closed principle for architecture.
  • tutor is a great software and it does it job very well
  • kubernetes is a solid choice(even if some installations decide to use something else for orchestration)

Also we all know how big and unruly configuration grew up to be and we don’t want to follow the same steps with the main difference being that the code is split in a bunch of repos instead of one.

What I’m thinking here is that we could take some lessons from the governance of the big and complicated repos such as edx-platform and set up a project where we share our common experience of hosting and maintaining openedx installations specially those of larger sizes.

This piece of code should be very much oriented to ease of extension, but also it would have a well defined list of maintainers for the different parts of the core. The main goal of this project would be render files that can be used as a manifest for k8s that hosts open edX. How you apply this manifest to the cluster is everyone’s own choice. It could be using a hosted CI or with tutor k8s init. This would also be covered by the same ease of extension policy.

This is quite a raw idea and if was reading this I would be like “sounds nice, show me the code or I’d call bs”. Just throwing it here to see if there is any traction. I’ll get started on a prototype to prove to myself that this is actually worthwhile.

Further considerations:

• I’m talking about a flexible rendered and tutor is an amazing and extendable template and file manager. It follows naturally that the piece of code we write be a tutor plugin. What I’d like is for this project to lift the burden of supporting the issues that arise during operation tutor. If this is a non issue (which I don’t think it is) and we are better served by giving better support to the tutor plugins individually. Please say so.

• this project would probably be better off living on the openedx org so that there is no space for provider egos anywhere. It should also be covered by the core-commiter program.

cc @jhony_avella @MoisesGonzalezS @mgmdi

4 Likes