Open edX Contributors Meetup

Hi all! Here is the recap from the meeting we held on 2022-06-14.

Video Recording

ConMeetup-14-06-22

Participants

Meeting notes

2. Working Groups Follow-Ups:

Marketing (@estebanetcheverry ):

• The creation of the Open edX vs Moodle video comparison is in progress. Led by Esteban and Eden. This is the document where they have put the key information it should contain.
  • A list of How-To videos is available here. The idea is that everyone records the videos with the themes they select to collaborate on. Then the videos will go through a revision phase and, finally, they will be edited to give them the same visual identity.
  • Updates and testing of the Open edX Sandbox are in process.
  • The creation of videos that tell the story of Open edX is also pending.

Request for help:

Please submit a review for Open edX at: https://elearningindustry.com/directory/elearning-software/open-edx/reviews/new

BTR (@nedbat @Dean ):

Frontend (@arbrandes):

Data (@Andres.Aulasneo @e0d @mafermazu ):

• You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

DEPR (@feanil @dave @idegtiarov ):

• You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Product (@jmakowski):

TOC (@antoviaque):

• They will schedule the next meeting soon.

Request for help:

Xavier is looking for some feedback on TOC Community Members Elections - Brainstorm thread

3. Events:

• @nedbat do you have further information about the monthly events you mentioned during the last meetup?

4. Projects:

• Django events and filters (@mgmdi - @Felipe): Few remaining PRs to be merged! the team will make sure they are properly backported to Nutmeg.

Request for help:

They require some review to [BD-32] feat: Open edX Filters backport by mariajgrimaldi · Pull Request #30583 · openedx/edx-platform · GitHub

5. Improvements and Calls/offers for help (@Dean @braden )

• @Dean and @antoviaque prepared a great recap of what was discussed at this point of the meeting:

Highlights:

@ghassan: “When I suggest a change to a repo (Open a PR). Which I don’t have commit history with, the tests won’t run, unless someone trigger them. I found that to be really unproductive for me… Specially when I can’t replicate the tests locally i.e. codecov. Is there anything to be done to enhance this experience?”

• @sarina said it is a security matter. There is no way to change this policy, at least for now. It seems getting help from a maintainer or being a maintainer would be the proper approach to do it. Investigating how the CI infrastructure works could be something the community can take a look at, and it might be the next logical step.https://github.com/openedx/open-edx-proposals/pull/290

@Andres.Aulasneo: “K8s should have a dedicated space for collaboration. There are many things that are not working, or that need special consideration to implement.”

• For now, taking a look and raising your hand in the Discuss thread where this is being discussed seems like the best approach.

If you think you can lend a hand to any of the core contributors that are blocked, feel free to reach out to them!

Side note: We now have an Open edX Working Group Calendar!

Next meetup

2 Likes