Badgr - Badging Support

Hi @MrJohnson-SixNinesIT

We’ve been using badgr in Lilac and Maple, haven’t tested with Nutmeg yet but as far as I can tell the API endpoints (at least the ones that edx-platform is using) haven’t been changed.

When going through the documentation about configuring Badgr and setting up a server, all of the links appear to be broken.

You are right, seems that the Badgr docs have moved, that is news to me as well.

My question then is, where should I be looking to get things going? I have access to the Badgr Backpack, but I see no clear direction on where to go now that Badgr is Canvas Credentials.

I have no experience with Badgr Backpack but I think it’s for displaying earned badges, it could be useful for testing your integration.

For your Open edX platform to be able to award badges, you’ll need to create an “Issuer App” in Badgr. I believe the relevant docs are now here:

From that Issuer you should be able to retrieve the following settings for your Open edX platform:

BADGR_USERNAME: ""
BADGR_PASSWORD: ""
BADGR_BASE_URL: ""
BADGR_ISSUER_SLUG: ""

And as our docs suggest, for badges to work properly on your platform you’ll need to have certificates enabled and you’ll need to run migrations after enabling badges.

Linking this post for reference here as well since it contains an example tutor plugin.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes