I have mainly spoken about my experience with getting badgr server to work.
We followed the badging guide to the T.
Followed badgr server’s installation guide that is here https://github.com/concentricsky/badgr-server
When running badgr server locally we could see that badges were being issued but they did not match our existing badges, edx asked for badgr_server/badge1 and while badgr_server had a badge with the badge1 class its URI was badgr_server/wxdexgr329e9urfhGGRFGGHFJFSHh because it was autogenerated and we couldn’t change it.
We made the changes described on Error updating user preferences. Credentials not provided? in order to have editable slugs from the django application of badgr server.
Once you make wxdexgr329e9urfhGGRFGGHFJFSHh’s id to be badge1 it works fairly well.
We made another change so that users that were inactive on badgr server/didn’t use their account weren’t being kicked out of their profiles on edx when we requested their badges(funny little side effect of running multiple django apps on one server). This second change is also described in the post I provided.
Two line changes and following the guide to a T got badgr server working on our end. I even got the badgr xblock working but this was at the very end of my journey at my last company and my boss didn’t want to let me do a reinstallation to have a propper way of installing the xblock