Cannot install s3uploader_downloader xblock

following the instructions on the readme from https://github.com/jswope00/s3-uploader-downloader
everything is fine until I run: python manage.py lms makemigrations s3uploader_downloader --settings=aws

Then I get this error

File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/apps/registry.py", line 85, in populate
    app_config = AppConfig.create(entry)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/apps/config.py", line 94, in create
    module = import_module(entry)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/importlib/__init__.py", line 37, in import_module
    __import__(name)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/s3uploader_downloader/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from .s3uploader_downloader import UploaderDownloaderXBlock
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/s3uploader_downloader/s3uploader_downloader.py", line 18, in <module>
    from xmodule.modulestore.django import modulestore
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/edx-platform/common/lib/xmodule/xmodule/modulestore/django.py", line 35, in <module>
    from xblock_django.user_service import DjangoXBlockUserService
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/edx-platform/common/djangoapps/xblock_django/user_service.py", line 4, in <module>
    from django.contrib.auth.models import User
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/models.py", line 4, in <module>
    from django.contrib.auth.base_user import AbstractBaseUser, BaseUserManager
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/base_user.py", line 52, in <module>
    class AbstractBaseUser(models.Model):
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/base.py", line 110, in __new__
    app_config = apps.get_containing_app_config(module)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/apps/registry.py", line 247, in get_containing_app_config
    self.check_apps_ready()
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/apps/registry.py", line 125, in check_apps_ready
    raise AppRegistryNotReady("Apps aren't loaded yet.")
django.core.exceptions.AppRegistryNotReady: Apps aren't loaded yet.

Hey @joshoftenly, I noticed that the conversation about the issue that you reported above continues on GitHub. Has the fix that the author of the XBlock mentioned in here resolved your issue, or are you still facing any blockers installing the s3-uploader-downloader XBlock?

1 Like

I left the issue open due to the fact that my server was down due to this (the installer installed packages that were outdated or wrong version, thusly I learned how pip manages versions and had to fix all that before even attempting the try it again. Now that that is out of the way it should be good to go, but I haven’t run that yet. When I have I will update this and write a summary of the fix.

1 Like