Core Contributor Sprints - Improvement Survey

Thanks for this, Xavier. I’ll cop to being one of the respondents that hadn’t checked in, in particular because:

This was recently discussed internally at tCRIL, as it of course doesn’t just apply to me. We came to the conclusion that doing this additional work is likely worth it for the added transparency. Sure, anybody can already check what I’m working on from the tcril-engineering board - or from the FWG, BTR, or Community boards - but that requires knowing about those in the first place. Whereas the CC sprint recap is both more concise and more heavily publicized.

So, to be clear, we - the official core contributors at tCRIL - will start doing check-ins like any other CC is currently encouraged to.

This doesn’t mean we can’t improve the process. So I like that you suggested:

I have mixed feelings on videos. They’re nice to make and have the advantages you list, but they take more time to scan than text, and this grows linearly (and faster than text) with the number of CCs checking in.

This brings me to something else: as participation grows, wouldn’t it be more practical to delegate this kind of meta-work to the working groups? One way or another, it already happens anyway. The main advantage I see would be in 1) as a CC, not having to do report on the same work to (at least) two different check-ins every two weeks, and 2) as anybody, it would be easier to follow what work is being done by area of concern.

There is also the question of time commitment and tracking, but not only is there another thread about this, we’ll likely gather in the conference to talk about it. Probably not worth tackling it here.

1 Like