Core Contributors Sprints

That must be it :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Sarina Canelake is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://tcril-org.zoom.us/j/95047569846?pwd=UlkxTUdZZjltUGtVcWRPR3RWRWtuQT09

Meeting ID: 950 4756 9846
Passcode: 798552

@sarina Thanks! Iā€™ve updated the meeting URL in this weekā€™s event, to use your Zoom URL.

I worked it out at lastā€¦ I had to login using Google SSO! I was logging in with my email + password, and wasnā€™t seeing anywhere to submit.

Sorry for the delay, but my update is in there now!

1 Like

Iā€™ve posted the current answers to the checkin at Core Contributors - Sprint Planning & Retro - Google Sheets ā€“ and the list of blockers & improvements to vote and discuss on during the meeting later today is at Core Contributors - Sprint Planning & Retro - Google Sheets

Note that we currently only have 33% of the core contributors checkins ā€“ even if you canā€™t attend the meeting, it is still useful to get everyoneā€™s input; check your emails for a notification from hello@mg.fridayfeedback.com.

Retrospective outcome

Here are the feedback items from the retro, by number of votes, and the assignee for the most-voted (reference: Core Contributors - Sprint Planning & Retro - Google Sheets )

Total votes Assignee
From the discussion on site_config it became clear that the DEPR process can still get better 4 No assignee ā€“ issue in this case is communication, will be more steps to the DEPR ticket
I still need to improve my asynchronous communication with the BTR group. I mentioned the release of Maple.2 just 2-3 days before it was actually due. 3 @jhony_avella
- Still not a lot of answers to the sprint checkin (44%). Not sure what is blocking - might be useful to do a poll to see what everyone thinks? 3 @antoviaque
Iā€™ve just noticed that the ā€œHow many hours did you log over the last 14 daysā€ item of this survey only goes up to 10 hours. I needed to log 17 hours for this sprint. , Itā€™s nice to have the flexibility to work in my monthly CC hours anytime during the month, and not to have to stick to the 5 hours per week guideline. 2 @antoviaque
Finding more core contributor work 2
Need to find more time to work on things (x2) 2
Getting CC feedback on Adolfoā€™s nomination thread, and generally, understanding how to communicate those threads to everyone. (x2) 1
At the moment, a lack of a reply by Jeremy or a definition on who should review the filter PRs that are open. 1
Iā€™d like to have a clear alternative to JSME before I announce the deprecation 0

Meeting recording

I couldnā€™t find the recording of the last meeting on my Zoom account - we might have used another account then? Iā€™m switching the meeting URL back to Launch Meeting - Zoom in the calendar invite.

Totals contributed

Out of curiosity, and to encourage broader reporting, Iā€™ve started adding up the hours reported in the last two sprint sheets (Feb 18 & Jan 21):

User Hours contributed
Ali Hugo 20
Jillian Vogel 20
Peter Pinch 16
Gabriel Dā€™Amours 11
Felipe Montoya 10
Juan Camilo Montoya 10
Piotr Surowiec 10
Sarina Canelake 10
Zia Fazal 10
Matjaz Gregoric 9
Sofiane Bebert 9
Braden MacDonald 8
Nizar Mahmoud 7
Usman Khalid 7
Giovanni Cimolin 5
Xavier Antoviaque 4
Jhony Avella 3
Omar Al-Ithawi 3
Nicole Kessler 2
1 Like

8 posts were split to a new topic: Core Contributor Sprints - Improvement Survey

The next core contributors sprint planning & retro meeting is on Friday. I have created the spreadsheet for the checkins answers submitted so far.

There are many check-ins missing currently - make sure to send your checkin today (look for an email from hello@mg.fridayfeedback.com), so it can be taken into account for the meeting tomorrow, especially if you canā€™t attend the meeting. Thank you!

Notes from the core contributors sprint planning meeting of Fri, March 4th 2022.

Retrospective outcome

Here are the feedback items from the last retrospective - we reviewed all the blockers and improvements listed: (reference: Core Contributors - Sprint Planning & Retro - Google Sheets )

# Blockers & improvements Reported by
A My async communication with the BTR group still needs improvement and I havenā€™t been able to work on a ticket thatā€™s assigned to me. Iā€™m going to time block some time in my calendar (weekly) to dedicate to BTR @BbrSofiane
B havenā€™t the time to collaborate in repo reviews @jhony_avella
C Personally, I had very little time to spend on open edX this sprint , Understanding what will be included in the next release requires a lot of individual communication. I guess if someone has to do it, it should be me, the ā€œrelease notes expertā€ but I also feel like it shouldnā€™t require so much Slack to understand whatā€™s in progress. @pdpinch
D We still need to know who can review the different PRs implementing filters, or if we only need to inform and only have CCs as reviewers @Felipe
E Get responses to the survey about core sprints @antoviaque
F Getting my PR reviewed @Zia_Fazal
G - Unsure exactly who to query about merging and deploying these OSPRs given the edX/2U/tCRIL split, but Iā€™ve asked on the tickets. @jill

To detail & follow-up on them:

A,B,C ā€“ not enough time. This seem to be a recurring point, and isnā€™t surprising. But it might be worth looking into if core contributors donā€™t get enough time assigned for their core dutires ā€“ there have been commitments from multiple organizations to provide it, so it could be worth bringing it up at the institution level, to get the bosses to help?

D,F,G ā€“ it currently seem unclear who can review some of the PRs. It has been mentioned that an effort is underway to add a page to publish skills/specialties of people with access to the codebase?

E ā€“ Important reminder: donā€™t forget to answer the survey about the core contributors sprints, posted just above. Many answers to the survey are still missing.

Meeting recording

GMT20220304-135908_Recording_gallery_1920x1056.mp4 - Google Drive

Chat log

Totals contributed

To encourage broader reporting, here are the totals of the hours reported in the last three sprint sheets (Mar 4th, Feb 18, Jan 21):

User SUM of How many hours did you log over the last 14 days?
Jillian Vogel 35
Gabriel Dā€™Amours 29
Ali Hugo 21
Juan Camilo Montoya 20
Peter Pinch 20
Matjaz Gregoric 19
Zia Fazal 18
Felipe Montoya 16
Sofiane Bebert 16
Xavier Antoviaque 15.5
Braden MacDonald 13
Jhony Avella 11
Giovanni Cimolin 10
Piotr Surowiec 10
Sarina Canelake 10
Nizar Mahmoud 9
Usman Khalid 7
Omar Al-Ithawi 5
Nicole Kessler 2
Grand Total 286.5
2 Likes

@jill @Zia_Fazal please feel free to reach out to me with difficulties getting PRs addressed (email is best: sarina [at] tcril [dot] org). I canā€™t promise a miracle, but it is helpful for me to understand specific friction points and add another voice to the chorus.

I am already trying to help @Felipe with the filters PRs. Not sure how well itā€™s going :sweat: but Iā€™m hopeful weā€™ll get there soon.

Thank you @sarina ! I think weā€™re good for the blockstore-as-app PRs now, since Jeremy and Julia have pulled these into their next sprint. Re timing: If Iā€™d been more communicative quicker, I could have caught the cutoff for their previous sprint. And re who to contact: I wasnā€™t sure whether the TNL ticket still had accurate contact details, but it was all good!

Thanks @sarina . My PR related to BTR100 got merged today after review. Other PR is in the @doctoryes to do list which I hope would be reviewed in their next sprint.