Course enrollment for Anonymous users

Open Edx by default implements the following enrollment flow as well as the user experience:

1. Anonymous user find the desired Course
  2. He/she click on the Enroll button
  3. Alert message is presented proposing user to log-in or register

edx.org provides a more user-friendly flow for the same use case:

1. Anonymous user find the desired Course
  2. He/she click on the Enroll button
  3. User is being redirected to the registration page with the next parameter for the desired course’s enrollment action (https://courses.edx.org/register?course_id=course-v1%3ABerkleeX%2BOHARM100x%2B1T2021&enrollment_action=enroll&email_opt_in=false)

I’m wondering do we want to implement the same UX for the Open Edx.

How everybody feels - does the community need this?

P.S actually from Raccoon Gang - I receive bug reports from our testers about the default registration flow with references to the Edx.org UX.

I’ve encountered this problem last time I upgraded from ironwood to juniper.
The current behaviour used by edx.org as you stated, was the same behaviour in open edx ironwood release.

I don’t know why the redirect to register/login behaviour was replaced by a simple error message.

All I did last time to solve the issue was to edit /lms/templates/courseware/course_about.html at the line after :

else if (xhr.status == 403) {

and add back a redirect to register page :

location.href = "${reverse('register_user') | n, js_escaped_string  }?course_id=${course.id | n, js_escaped_string }&enrollment_action=enroll";

Do you know in what commit the change was made? I’d be interested to understand what happened.

@nedbat I think this huge commit is where it started

Although the commit’s message is not related to the current course registration flow, these two lines were removed from course_about.html line 68

} else if (xhr.status == 403) {
      location.href = "${reverse('register_user') | n, decode.utf8  }?course_id=${course.id | n, decode.utf8 }&enrollment_action=enroll";

It’d be really great to have this solved asap.

It makes sense to have it the way it was - an unregistered/anonymous or not signed in user gets redirected to register/sign in after clicking the “Enroll Now” button.

1 Like

Hi there, any updates on this bug? Would be nice if Open edX could revert the change so that users whom are not logged in are redirected to a login or sign-up page.

Hello!

is there anyway to achieve the old behavior, i.e., keep the “next” parameter for the desired course, so that he is redirected to the course (rather than the dashboard) after registration?

Thank you. Best,
Martí