Fixing the cybersource issue in the Lilac release of Ecommerce

I am currently taking a stab at fixing the cybersource integration in the Lilac (and potentially Maple?) release of Ecommerce. However, I am limited by my own understanding of Ecommerce and how to set up commercial courses. For instance, I am currently unable to register to a paying course because I have no idea how to bypass (or to setup?) user verification. Is user verification mandatory in all cases? Do I have to create a new course mode if I want to bypass user verification?

Thanks!

1 Like

Caveats: I donā€™t know much about ID Verification nor installation/configuration outside devstack and edx.org

Ecommerce does not require ID Verification to purchase an upgrade, at least in devstack and edx.org; that will be required to issue a verified certificate by the end of the course, but ecommerce does not require it to make the purchase as far as I know. Am I misunderstanding your question?

1 Like

Sorry about the late reply; it took me some time to setup a Maple server with Ecommerce enabled. I can confirm that the LMS does require identity verification to purchase an upgrade.

As you can see in the screenshot below, the ā€œupgradeā€ link points to http://mfehost/account/id-verification?course_id=ā€¦

When I click this upgrade link, I am forwarded to the account MFE, which briefly displays the identify verification form before showing this:

Thus, identity verification is effectively preventing me from testing the ecommerce functionality. I did attempt to enable the AUTOMATIC_VERIFY_STUDENT_IDENTITY_FOR_TESTING feature flag, as suggested by @Zia_Fazal in this Slack thread, but it not change anything.

Iā€™m kind of stuck because of this issue for nowā€¦

@regis you can bypass this verification step by manually approving identity of your account to test ecommerce.
Go to django admin admin/verify_student/manualverification/add/ for manual approval. Select status to approved and select the user who should be approved and set Expiration date to future date.

@regis I think what youā€™re showing is happening in the LMS or otherwise before the upgrade goes to ecommerce; again, I donā€™t know much about IDV, but I will try to find an IDV expert to help with this.

Thanks for your suggestion @Zia_Fazal! You made me go through the initial error message, and now I get the following one: ā€œYou have already submitted your verification information. You will see a message on your dashboard when the verification process is complete (usually within 5 days).ā€

At this point, I have reached out to edX for help and Ben Holt (is that you @bjh?) responded positively.

is that you @bjh?

Yup, thatā€™s me, Iā€™ve updated my profile both here and on Slack to make this clearer, and I look forward to talking with you.

1 Like

Hey RĆ©gis!

I think you may be running into this part of the code:

In other words, I believe for your setup:

Could you check whether this is the case for your instance?

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Phil

@regis, I checked with a fresh install of tutor that the aforementioned solution is a fix to the Identity Verfication problem. Once you get past this, check out :
https://discuss.overhang.io/t/have-you-configured-cybersource-in-liliac/2170/4

@suman, thank you very much for your verification, write up, & PR! That was incredible. I will start testing your fix.

Best,
Phil

@pshiu @suman thank you very much to you both for investigating this issue. I am happy to report that I am able to get past identity verification by enabling the commerce configuration on the LMS, as you suggested.

In a nutshell, what was missing was calling the following command during ecommerce initialization:

./manage.py lms configure_commerce

The thing is that this command is not documented anywhere. What I usually do when porting an IDA is to reverse-engineer the installation commands from the configuration repository, but this command is nowhere to be found there.

You guys are shortlisted for getting the ā€œsolving the ecommerce situationā€ special award, along with @Felipe :wink: (cc @nedbat)

Now moving on to the cybersource issue and the fix that was proposed by @suman!

2 Likes