How To Programmatically Set A Course Advanced Fields

My sincerest apologies for the effect this had. It was definitely not my intention to upset anybody, and least of all to give the impression that developers don’t care about bug reports. I can’t speak for everybody, but as an Open edX developer myself, I very much do, and consider them to be a valuable contribution.

Plus, I agree I should’ve given better reason in the ticket, even if just by linking to an explanation elsewhere (which I did a couple of days after the fact). I know it’s little consolation, but this was for simple lack of time: as BTR chair, I had to make quick judgement calls as to what we would devote our limited resources to fixing as the release approached, and the issue in question had not seen any activity in 4 months.

With that in mind, I take it you understand the reasoning behind the criteria for any particular issue to be made the Build-Test-Release working group’s concern. The group is entirely community supported, and it doesn’t have the manpower to fix everything: no single organization in this community does. If nobody is interested enough to assist in fixing the issue - even if just by volunteering to try and find somebody to do so - there is not much else the group can do.

As I mentioned earlier, however, it doesn’t mean other groups or individuals in the community can’t do something about it. A good strategy, for instance, is to report the issue upstream in the Github repository where the problem is presumed to be found. Another is to try and reproduce the issue on the latest release, which will get it more attention. None of this is guaranteed to get it fixed, but… It’s a start.

All that said, I understand your frustration, and sympathize. We’re all striving to make Open edX a better project that does not lead to such feelings. Perhaps, though, I could convince you to join more BTR meetings or the #wg-build-test-release channel as a way of making your needs heard? I’m sure that if we’d gotten this issue into the Community Test Plan we might have found a more satisfactory conclusion prior to Olive.