How to translate tutor

I’m trying to deploy tutor locally and I need to translate full tutor to Byelorussian
If I’m trying to translate it from profile settings, that’s ok, tutor is translating, but no full, some components still English
Can u help me? Or give some recommendations?

Most likely is that the translation mapping is incomplete, you can help contribute to the project by submitting new translations

https://docs.tutor.overhang.io/configuration.html#adding-custom-translations

1 Like

i tried to make it like in documentation
but nothing changed
so, my steps:
I’v made file hierarchy: …/openedx/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/django.po&djangojs.po
and i got this files from openedx git repo
added a few custom strings, but nothing changed, can u help me?

I assume you are testing with Russian instead of Belarusian?
Otherwise try with locale code:
‘be’: ‘belarusian’

is it still same?
Did you rebuild OpenEdx after adding your locales?
tutor images build openedx

“ru” or “by” - it’s doesn’t matter, testing both
Of course I made “tutor images build openedx” and nothing changed;(

What do you mean by

if you mean “LMS” and “CMS” are translated, but “Learning” or other MFEs don’t have translations, take a look at here

1 Like

@Emad is Transifix the recommended/official way to contribute to the translations for the community, and the tutor-mfe link you gave just for private/custom translations?
I’ve only just started looking around at the translations side of things so just getting my bearings straight :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes.
There is a Transifix bot that commits new translations (I think on a daily basis) on different OpenedX projects.

1 Like

SO, thx for idea with mfe, but now i’v got another trouble
when i try to build mfe image i’m getting an error, like this:

Dockerfile:4
--------------------
   3 |
   4 | >>> RUN apt update \
   5 | >>>   && apt install -y git \
   6 | >>>     # required for cwebp-bin
   7 | >>>     gcc libgl1 libxi6 make \
   8 | >>>     # required for gifsicle, mozjpeg, and optipng (on arm)
   9 | >>>     autoconf libtool pkg-config zlib1g-dev \
  10 | >>>     # required for node-sass (on arm)
  11 | >>>     python g++ \
  12 | >>>     # required for image-webpack-loader (on arm)
  13 | >>>     libpng-dev \
  14 | >>>     # required for building node-canvas (on arm, for course-authoring)
  15 | >>>     # https://www.npmjs.com/package/canvas
  16 | >>>     libcairo2-dev libpango1.0-dev libjpeg-dev libgif-dev librsvg2-dev
  17 |
--------------------
ERROR: failed to solve: process "/bin/sh -c apt update   && apt install -y git     gcc libgl1 libxi6 make     autoconf libtool pkg-config zlib1g-dev     python g++     libpng-dev     libcairo2-dev libpango1.0-dev libjpeg-dev libgif-dev librsvg2-dev" did not complete successfully: exit code: 100
Error: Command failed with status 1: docker buildx build --tag=docker.io/overhangio/openedx-mfe:16.1.1 --no-cache --output=type=docker --cache-from=type=registry,ref=docker.io/overhangio/openedx-mfe:16.1.1-cache C:\Users\spb00970\AppData\Local\tutor\tutor\env\plugins\mfe\build\mfe

I’v made architecture like that:
plugins/mfe/build/mfe/i18n/messages/ru.json
and the content of ru.json like in the documentation

what’s wrong?

No, the correct form is /path/to/tutor/env/plugins/mfe/build/mfe/i18n/<app name>/<language code>.json. you forgot the app name part.

cd "$(tutor config printroot)/env/plugins/mfe/build/mfe/i18n/"
mkdir account
touch account/ru.json

Also, please tell me which version of Docker you are currently using? Using buildx with Docker requires Docker engine 19.03 or newer.

I assume you’ve built dev images in the first place, so it can’t be Docker. maybe a network issue?

I’m currently on version 4.22.1 of docker
and I changed path like u said and nothing changed

Are you sure that is your docker version? Docker versions are usually denoted by the year and month of their release

as tutor documentation suggests:

• Required software is:

What’s the output of docker --version command?

Sure, my fault…
Docker version is 24.0.5

And docker compose version is 2.20.2

I’ve given it my best shot, but I’m stumped. Maybe others in the community can chime in with some fresh ideas.

Neverthrless, so much thx to u;)