Translations issue in Redwood (tutor 18)

Hello,

I am running Open edX installed with Tutor.

I have noticed a huge difference between tutor, version 17.0.6 (Quince) and tutor, version 18.1.3 (Redwood) when the French language is set as the default language (LANGUAGE_CODE=fr). In the latter case (tutor 18), almost everything is written in English, while in the former case (tutor 17), most of the platform was translated to French (as expected).

Any idea why this happens ?

Below is a Minimal Reproducible Example:

• When installing tutor, version 17.0.6 from scratch (no upgrade or migration applied), and selecting fr to answer the question The default language code for the platform during the interactive platform configuration (tutor local launch), here is how the platform looks like:

Everything is indeed translated to French

• When doing exactly the same procedure with tutor, version 18.1.3 (latest version) here is how the platform looks like:

Nothing is translated to French.

I checked and variable LANGUAGE_CODE is set to fr in file $(tutor config printroot)/config.yml as expected.

I tried rebuilding the openedex image but it does not change anything

@omar I saw on the changelog of the tutor project that you worked on migrating from OEP-58 to GitHub - openedx/openedx-translations: Open edX Translation files in sync with Transifex for translations. Maybe you have an idea of what could be happening ? (I guess it is somehow related)

@RonanFR please use the French Canadian locale.

As you can see from the Transifex project, French has 0% review rates which means that translations are unusable in the latest version.

I understand that fr and fr_CA locales are not an exact match. So, if you’d like you can start working on the Transifex project openedx-translations-redwood localization | Transifex and that will fix the issue for everyone.

Thanks a lot for your quick reply @omar !
I tried to enter fr_CA and fr-ca during the interactive platform configuration (tutor local launch) but an error is raised:
Error: 'fr_CA' is not one of ...
And there is nothing resembling French Canadian in the listed locales.

I have created an issue on the tutor Github project: Extend allowed language codes · Issue #1123 · overhangio/tutor · GitHub. I will also try to manually set LANGUAGE_CODE to fr_CA in file config.yml to see if it works.

But in parallel I think I will also follow your suggestion @omar and try to contribute to Transifex :slightly_smiling_face:

As suggested by @omar above, and @regis in this issue, I tested the following:

tutor config save --set LANGUAGE_CODE=fr-ca
tutor local launch --non-interactive

and it works (the --non-interactive is required to avoid the error mentioned in my last message).