Join the Redwood Testing Team!

Calling All Community Members to Test The Release

We’re a month out from releasing our next Named Release, Redwood! We thoroughly test each release candidate before it goes live to make sure that the versions of Open edX software you install are proven to work.

No matter what role you play within the Open edX community, you are a perfect tester, and we’d be thrilled to have you join us! Anyone who’s ever used the platform is fully qualified to help us in our testing effort.

How do I join?

It’s easy! Check out the instructions for running a release test. But in short, you’ll pick a test off the Redwood testing spreadsheet, visit a dedicated test sandbox, execute the test, and log the results on the spreadsheet. You’ll also file a ticket in this GitHub repository in the case of a failing test, and community product managers and engineers will triage and fix it.

Tests are defined, and results logged, on the Redwood release testing spreadsheet. That spreadsheet also contains links to our testing sandbox and a cheat sheet of information and links.

Timeline

All tests need to be completed by Friday, 31 May.

I have more questions!

Get in touch! Please comment on this forums post, or reach out in #wg-build-test-release in Slack.

Shout-outs

We want to recognize all the effort that went into our last release, Quince. Particularly, our stellar testing team included power-testers @Fayyaz_Ahmed, @Suleman_Rafi, @Dean @john_curricume, @mgmdi, and @Faisal_Rasheed. Thank you for making it happen!

Note: some features are not ready for testing as of 5/16

Tests that cannot yet be performed are highlighted in red on the testing sheet. As the features are enabled on the testing site, we will remove the highlight and note the update in this thread.

Currently missing from the test site:

• Ecommerce
  • Credentials (test 107)
  • Custom-Response Problems (test 195)
12 Likes

@pdpinch I want to voluteer in executing test plan for redwood. Kindly add me on test plan sheet.

2 Likes

Hi @pdpinch, Have a nice day!

I’m keen to join the test execution activity, willing to contribute my skills for success. Kindly consider my commitment when selecting participants.

1 Like

Count me in!

1 Like

Side note: The test courses currently in the sandbox seem to have a bunch of features turned off (like calculator, wiki, and the new nav bar). Any chance we could get one with all of them on? I would make one myself but the verification e-mail has not arrived yet.

You can use the admin account in the Getting started tab from the testing spreadsheet while we resolve the issues with the email setup.

@colin.fredericks you can use the admin user (listed on the first sheet) to log in as an admin and set up a new course that meets your specification.

Thank you @Faizan_Yaqoob. Please feel free to assign a test to yourself and get started!

1 Like

Have you tried logging in with the admin credentials? That should allow you to create a new course.

That’s great @Saim. Please feel free to assign yourself to any tests that you would like to work on.

@pdpinch is help still required for redwood? Please let me know that I am active, …in what I can do.

Hi @abstract-technology ! We would love your assistance. Are you on Slack, and if so, can you see the Slack channel for the release?

Peter posted this morning:

He linked to this forums post: NEED HELP: Redwood Testing >80% complete!

@sarina Who is able to grant me access to the Redwood Studio?

Hi @abstract-technology - I recommend posting in this thread as it is unmoderated: NEED HELP: Redwood Testing >80% complete!

Or join the Slack room as linked in my previous post.

Thanks!

Is there any wiggle room after the 31 May cut-off date? I noticed that this wiki page says that Redwood testing “will occur May 10 - June 5”. I’ve run out of time to test this week, so was hoping to pick up again next week.

I’m locking this post because it’s in a moderated topic. As mentioned above, I recommend posting in this thread as it is unmoderated: NEED HELP: Redwood Testing >80% complete!

Or join the Slack room as linked in my previous post.

2 Likes