Markdown xblock broken in Quince?

Does this Markdown xblock work for anyone else in Quince? It doesn’t seem to work for me.

cc @mrtmm who helped me with Markdown problems in the past. Thank you.

@Rohan Ack, thanks for the ping, I will look into it when I get a chance and update the XBlock.

Thanks Maari.

Also, just to confirm, the only thing that should be necessary is just pip install markdown-xblock==1.3.0 right? Because I just made a blank Palm instance too, and if I only do that, it doesn’t seem to be available in Palm either. (I made sure I have “markdown” under the advanced components in the example class that I imported from an older site where it worked.)

Hi @Rohan, are you using Tutor? If so, you’ll need to include it in your openedx image.
In config.yml add:

OPENEDX_EXTRA_PIP_REQUIREMENTS:
- markdown-xblock==1.3.0

run tutor config save & rebuild your openedx image

If done so, the component should show up in your courses (after you re-import). I’ll make sure to add this to the README as well.

I have now tested the XBlock in a Quince Tutor devstack; I was able to install v1.3.0 without issues but still I bumped the requirements and updated the README with instructions how to install and configure the XBlock in a Tutor environment. So we’ve now tagged v1.4.0 and I tested that again in my devstack and it seems to be working fine.

@Rohan if you are still having troubles with it please give me some more information about your setup.

1 Like

I can confirm I got it to work. The full steps required are as follows:

pip install markdown-xblock==1.4.0
tutor config save --append OPENEDX_EXTRA_PIP_REQUIREMENTS=markdown-xblock==1.4.0
tutor images build openedx
tutor local launch

(I’m not sure if that --append option for tutor config save is new to Quince or not, but I had never seen it before.)

1 Like

Hello @mrtmm. I would just note that I was trying to use the instructions from https://github.com/citynetwork/markdown-xblock and it didn’t say anything about needing to do tutor images build openedx, and so I kept not seeing the markdown plugin working. Could you add that to the README so it’s more clear? Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.