MFEs fail when MFE_HOST is not a subdomain of LMS_HOST

How to reproduce the bug:

you have LMS_HOST=lms.codewithemad.com in your settings. everything works and MFEs will be available at https://apps.lms.codewithemad.com/MFE_APP
but when you set MFE_HOST=apps.codewithemad.com, MFEs are no longer functional (when you’re logged in) and this error will show up in the console logs:

I’m not an expert on openedx, but I dug a little more and I believe it has something to do with the LMS Login system and Frontend-Platform.
Am I missing something?

os Ubuntu 22.04
tutor-mfe v15.0.6
tutor v15.3.6

Hello,

Yes this is a very common probelm, and can be reoslved by settings a settings that would make the cookie origin/domain as the root domain of the lms.

Here is an example/answer When attempting to enter a course's home on Learning MFE, Error: getLocale called before configuring i18n - #13 by ghassan.

Also here is dedicated tutor issue about it as well as preview: Preview mode breaks in Maple if PREVIEW_LMS_HOST is not a subdomain of LMS_HOST · Issue #557 · overhangio/tutor · GitHub.

1 Like

Thanks @ghassan. I used the lms-env patch and fixed the issue Mvelut mentioned here