NFS Volumes Won't Mount – Devstack – Mac Catalina

Error
I ran into this issue when trying to issue the make dev.nfs.provision command after I setup the (optional) NFS setup with make dev.nfs.setup as instructed here https://github.com/edx/devstack/blob/master/README.rst for setting up the master release.

++ docker-compose -f docker-compose.yml -f docker-compose-host-nfs.yml -f docker-compose-themes-nfs.yml up -d lms
devstack-master_mysql_1 is up-to-date
devstack-master_mongo_1 is up-to-date
devstack-master_elasticsearch_1 is up-to-date
devstack-master_devpi_1 is up-to-date
devstack-master_chrome_1 is up-to-date
devstack-master_memcached_1 is up-to-date
devstack-master_firefox_1 is up-to-date
Starting devstack-master_discovery_1 ... 
Starting devstack-master_discovery_1 ... error

ERROR: for devstack-master_discovery_1  Cannot start service discovery: error while mounting volume '/var/lib/docker/volumes/devstack-master_themes-nfs/_data': failed to mount local volume: mount :/Users/ztraboo/Dev/EducateWorkforce/Repos/open-edx/devstack.master/edx-themes:/var/lib/docker/volumes/devstack-master_themes-nfs/_data, data: addr=192.168.65.2,nolock,hard,nointr,nfsvers=3: permission denied

ERROR: for discovery  Cannot start service discovery: error while mounting volume '/var/lib/docker/volumes/devstack-master_themes-nfs/_data': failed to mount local volume: mount :/Users/ztraboo/Dev/EducateWorkforce/Repos/open-edx/devstack.master/edx-themes:/var/lib/docker/volumes/devstack-master_themes-nfs/_data, data: addr=192.168.65.2,nolock,hard,nointr,nfsvers=3: permission denied
ERROR: Encountered errors while bringing up the project.
make: *** [dev.nfs.provision.services] Error 1

Solution
I found this article which may help you out in case you upgraded to Catalina.
https://www.firehydrant.io/blog/nfs-with-docker-on-macos-catalina/

When adding nfsd to the Security & Privacy > Privacy > Full Disk Access list you can find it by going the Macintosh HD > sbin > nfsd. Show hidden files by issuing shift + command + ..

This occurred when I’m trying to figure out Docker Devstack – Multiple Releases – One Machine

cc: @jmbowman, @kmccormick, @jill

1 Like

@jmbowman @kmccormick I created this pull request to fix this problem with Catalina users. Please review when you have time.

1 Like