Problem installing open-release/lilac.3

Hello!

I was trying to build back a native lilac.3 instance today, and I got the following error message:

npm ERR! Error while executing:

npm ERR! /usr/bin/git ls-remote -h -t git://github.com/edx/edx-ui-toolkit.git

npm ERR!

npm ERR! fatal: remote error:

npm ERR! The unauthenticated git protocol on port 9418 is no longer supported.

npm ERR! Please see Improving Git protocol security on GitHub | The GitHub Blog for more information.

npm ERR!

npm ERR! exited with error code: 128

According to Improving Git protocol security on GitHub | The GitHub Blog it might be because the Ansible scripts are still using git://

I know maple.1 is the current release, but for upgrade purposes from koa.3 I still need to install lilac.3 with native instead of Tutor.

It this something we should look into? As a non-core contributor, there is nothing I can do here…

It looks like a dependency in the insights package being installed by default which needs edx-ui-toolkit.git.

@jmbowman told me that they’re also hitting this in Maple trying to get an insights devstack image built. The same issue probably affects master.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Github - Connection timed out

Dear @sambapete,

did you eventually find any solution to this problem?

I am also facing the same issue (also stated here: Github - Connection timed out - #3 by kstefan).

If seems like a dependency in the insights package, do you know how I could overcome this?

Best Regards,

Kostas.

I believe it has been fixed in later releases.

Dear @sambapete,

thank you for your quick response.

So, I should probably try the lilac.3 release.

If I am not mistaken, from maple.1 release and above, I cannot use the native installation and only tutor is supported, is that correct?

Best Regards,

Kostas.

That is correct. You must now use Tutor if you want to install the newest releases of Open edX. Is there any reason why you cannot use or do not want to use Tutor? Just curious.

Dear @sambapete,

thank you again for your interest.

I also tried with lilac.3 release, but faced the same problem.

My persistence with using the native install is due to the fact that I have more than 5 years of experience with native builds and it is a lot easier for me to manage. But I suppose the support for native builds is over now.

Also, another reason regarding not using Tutor, the truth is that I got my hands to it with the maple release early this year, but when I faced my first problems on this release, I turned to their forum for assistance, but no one ever responded to me. I seemed to me then that the Tutor community wasn’t so organized as the community here.

I hope that after this has changed over the last months, because I think that I will need their help from now on.

Best Regards,

Kostas.

The support for native builds is indeed over. For people like you or even I who had 7 years of experience with native builds, it can be difficult at times. But there are people willing to help if you ask questions here. Always remember that people will answer on their own time.

The Tutor forum is now closed. All new questions should be posted here.

Dear @sambapete,

thank you very much for your interest.

It is a pity we found no solution for the lilac release.

Probably Tutor is the way to go.

Best Regards,

Kostas.

With Lilac, you still had the choice between using Native or Tutor.
Starting with Maple, only Tutor is supported.