Re-indexing discussion forum after restore from backup (koa)

After restoring mongodb and mysql in Koa (to see if the restore works ok), everything works ok apart from the forum. The forum works ok but not all topics are shown in it. Someone told me I have to re-index the forum.
How can I re-index the forum, I do not find any instructions?

I tried the next procedure, but this did not fix the problem of some topics not shown in the forum after restore.

Stop forum service.
sudo /edx/bin/supervisorctl stop forum

Login to forum env.
sudo -sHu forum bash
cd ~/cs_comments_service/
source ~/forum_env

Run
bin/rake search:rebuild_index

Start the forum service
sudo /edx/bin/supervisorctl start forum

Hi @giannopk!

you may try to run ./bin/rake search:catchup[99999] to fetch all records from MONGO DB.

I tried that and it did not change anything, again, I only see the same topics restored, I do not see all of them, some topics are missing.

I am sorry, but it looks like I take too few of ‘9’!
99999 seconds equals to 27 hours only. You could try to use a bigger number of seconds (for example 31536000 for 1 year).

1 Like

I tried this but no luck :frowning:

I still have the same problem. I tried once more to restore the backup of mongodb and mysql by the procedure below, (and also following your instructions about re-indexing the forum) but the forum responses are not restored. It is only the initial forum posts that the admin has done that are restored, not the user responses.
Any help please, what to try?

Restore MySQL:
cd /home/edxuser/backups
sudo tar xvzf openedx-mysql-20210323T122058.tgz
sudo mysql < mysql-data-20210323T122058.sql

Run Database Migrations:
sudo -H -u edxapp -s bash
cd ~
source /edx/app/edxapp/edxapp_env
python /edx/app/edxapp/edx-platform/manage.py lms makemigrations --settings=production
python /edx/app/edxapp/edx-platform/manage.py lms migrate --settings=production
python /edx/app/edxapp/edx-platform/manage.py cms makemigrations --settings=production
python /edx/app/edxapp/edx-platform/manage.py cms migrate --settings=production
exit

Restore MongoDB:
cd /home/edxuser/backups
sudo tar xvzf openedx-mongo-20210323T122058.tgz
mongo --port 27017 -u “admin” -p “somepassword”
use edxapp;
db.dropDatabase();
exit
sudo mongorestore /home/edxuser/backups/mongo-dump-20210323T122058/ --username admin --password “somepassword”

Restart Platform:
sudo reboot

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.