Studio Superuser Login, User Account Profiles and Indigo Theme issues with Maple/Tutor

I have been attempting to get my first install of Open edX running for 2 weeks though still facing THREE ISSUES as outlined separately below.

I have reviewed and searched most every manual and post I could find relating to this release of Maple/Tutor plus have watched numerous videos… I am stumped, so I finally am reaching out to this forum for help.

NOTE: I am using Overhand.io’s Tutor v13.1.0 on AWS with a EC2 t3a.large instance. This version of Tutor is what AWS Marketplace presently installs.
NOTE: I do have my HTTPS certificate installed and DNS set to “mydomainname.com” and “*.mydomainname.com”. FYI: I do NOT have a DNS CNAME set for “studio.mydomainname.com”.
NOTE: I did get email/SMTP configured and working.
NOTE: I did install the demo class and it’s functions as expected.
NOTE: Below is my PLUGIN configuration

plugins list

• android==13.0.0 (disabled)
  • discovery==13.0.0 (disabled)
  • ecommerce==13.0.0 (disabled)
  • forum==13.0.0 (disabled)
  • license==13.0.0 (disabled)
  • mfe==13.0.1
  • minio==13.0.0 (disabled)
  • notes==13.0.0 (disabled)
  • richie==13.0.0 (disabled)
  • webui==13.0.0
  • xqueue==13.0.0 (disabled)

ISSUE ONE:
I cannot log into Studio… takes me to the LMS to sign in but then, after entering the superuser credentials (user name = admin), I receive the error message Error: invalid request Mismatching redirect URI. Appears to log me into the LMS since my superuser name appears.

ISSUE TWO:
From the LMS screen, I can’t VIEW/OPEN the logged in users ACCOUNT nor their PROFILE. I receive this error message “There has been a 500 error on the Praxis Focused Learning Experience servers.”

ISSUE THREE:
When loading/installing the INDIGO theme I receive the following error messages thus I am not successful in the installation of a different theme.

Creating tutor_local_lms-job_run … done

Loading settings lms.envs.tutor.production

2022-05-28 15:33:56,696 WARNING 9 [py.warnings] [user None] [ip None] warnings.py:109 - /openedx/venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/boto/plugin.py:40: DeprecationWarning: the imp module is deprecated in favour of importlib; see the module’s documentation for alternative uses import imp

2022-05-28 15:33:56,773 WARNING 9 [py.warnings] [user None] [ip None] warnings.py:109 - /openedx/venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/botocore/vendored/requests/packages/urllib3/_collections.py:1: DeprecationWarning: Using or importing the ABCs from ‘collections’ instead of from ‘collections.abc’ is deprecated since Python 3.3, and in 3.10 it will stop working from collections import Mapping, MutableMapping

2022-05-28 15:33:58,224 WARNING 9 [py.warnings] [user None] [ip None] warnings.py:109 - /openedx/edx-platform/openedx/core/lib/api/view_utils.py:5: DeprecationWarning: Using or importing the ABCs from ‘collections’ instead of from ‘collections.abc’ is deprecated since Python 3.3, and in 3.10 it will stop working from collections import Sequence # lint-amnesty, pylint: disable=no-name-in-module, deprecated-class

2022-05-28 15:33:58,560 WARNING 9 [py.warnings] [user None] [ip None] warnings.py:109 - /openedx/edx-platform/openedx/core/types/admin.py:49: DeprecationWarning: Django 3.2+ available: the _admin_display method and the AdminMethodclass should be removed from openedx.core.types warnings.warn(

Assigning theme indigo to www.PraxFLEX.com…
Assigning theme indigo to www.PraxFLEX.com:8000…
Assigning theme indigo to www.Studio.PraxFLEX.com…
Assigning theme indigo to www.Studio.PraxFLEX.com:8001…
Assigning theme indigo to preview.www.PraxFLEX.com…
Assigning theme indigo to preview.www.PraxFLEX.com:8000…

**Any direction for where to read, what to look for or things to try will be MUST APPRECIATED. I am new at Open edX and such installations so the more basic/explanatory the instructions the better. **
Thanking you in advance, Richard

Hi @Richard_Gehrs,

This issue was actually fixed only very recently: First authentication in Studio raises a 500 error: `social_core.exceptions.AuthStateMissing: Session value state missing.` · Issue #114 · openedx/wg-build-test-release · GitHub
The fix will be included in v13.2.3, which will be published in a few minutes.
I’m sorry that the AMI is based on an older release; Amazon makes publishing new versions on the marketplace quite difficult.

I’m pretty sure that this is because your LMS/CMS hosts include capital letters, which is an interesting issue that I never faced before. Can you please try to use only lowercase letters during tutor local quickstart? This might resolve issue 3 as well.

Regis…. Much thanks for the advice to follow.

I check on AWS for the updated Tutor though it remains to say it’s Ver v13.1.0 . I am NOT trying to rush you or your team, just wanted to see if this is how I upgrade or is there a different link to obtain the updated release.

Also I have new dilemma.

After reading your initial reply and using the Command Line I received an error message of “ERROR 28 no space left on device”. I increased my storage from 25GIB to 50GIB and restarted the instance. Now I am getting the error message of “Error: Invalid configuration: expected dict, got <class ‘NoneType’>“

Any thoughts???

Thanks again Regis…. Have a great day, Richard G

I suggest you upgrade tutor on your server; connect with ssh, then login as the “tutor” user and execute the upgrade script: https://overhang.io/tutor/ami/upgrade.sh

ssh ubuntu@3.227.249.31
sudo su tutor
curl https://overhang.io/tutor/ami/upgrade.sh | bash

Regis, I reinstall my Open EDx on AWS using the Tutor version 13.0.2. With your expert guidance, all of my issues but one have been resolved. Thanks!

I remain unable to VIEW/OPEN the logged in users ACCOUNT or their PROFILE from the LMS. The error message I receive has changed from ERROR 500 to " This site can’t be reached Check if there is a typo in…" and is shown in an attachment to this message.

Any thoughts? Richard G

The “apps.www.praxflex.com” domain does not resolve: DNS Lookup - Check DNS Records

The tutor-mfe plugin requires the domain name that corresponds to the MFE_HOST tutor setting to be properly defined. In your case I suggest you run tutor config save --set MFE_HOST=apps.praxflex.com to run the MFE apps on this domain.

@arbrandes this question made me realize that at no point do we mention the configuration of DNS records in the tutor-mfe README: GitHub - overhangio/tutor-mfe Could you please add a mention there?

Certainly! Adding it to my TODO.

1 Like

Regis, As always, I appreciate your help, patients and knowledge.

I issued the commands via SSH as you instructed and replied to all the “quickstart” type questions BUT now, since this Tutor update ran, I cannot access the web user interface at http://yourinstanceaddress:3737. That address worked fine prior to the Tutor version update that I did. I still am able to access both LMS and CMS and they are secure. I am assuming the LMS and CMS is running the new version of Tutor but without this access I can’t check. Any thoughts??? Richard G

Also one more question…… What command do I execute via SSH to perfume the requested/suggested “System Restart” Richard G

Sorry about the delay @Richard_Gehrs… I see that the 3737 web interface is still not working for you. You should ssh to the server and login as the tutor user to view the errors:

ssh ubuntu@yourserverip
sudo su tutor

Then print here the output of the following commands:

# Display available disk space
df -lh
# Print output from webui service
# (you might have to run with sudo)
journalctl -u tutor-webui
# Print output from tutor
tutor local logs --tail=100
# Attempt to quickstart
tutor local quickstart
sudo reboot

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.