The case of the missing .sjson files for transcripts

I might be cross-posting this to https://discuss.overhang.io/ later on.

I am in the process of testing a migration of Koa.3 from a Native environment to Koa.3 in a Tutor environment.

The databases for both MySQL and MongoDB have been migrated.

At one point I wanted to reindex a course because the “search in your courses” function was not working properly.

Studio complained with the following:
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/openedx/media/video-transcripts/96ab17a9daf247ecab9cbccb57a4f338.sjson’
2022-02-18 12:51:12,616 ERROR 1 [edx.modulestore] [user None] [ip None] courseware_index.py:263 - Indexing error encountered, courseware index may be out of date course-v1:PolyMtl+DDGE101.2+P2019 - FileNotFoundError(2, ‘No such file or directory’)

Yes, it is true that there is no such file in that directory under Tutor and there is also no equivalent file under /edx/var/edxapp/media/video-transcripts on Native environment.

I then created a brand new Tutor environment for Koa.3 but without our fork.
I exported the course from the Native environment. No problem.
I imported the course in the Tutor environment. No problem.
I reindexed the course in the Tutor environment. No problem.

But I them saw a lot of .srt files under /openedx/media/video-transcripts/ in the new Tutor environment.

Where does the export take the .srt files from my Native environment that were created in my import on my Tutor environment? Directly in MongoDB? Somewhere else?

And why was it looking for .sjson files originally when the import created .srt files?

Is there a solution to this? I do now want to export 400+ courses and reimport them one at a time.

I feel so ashamed…

The files were in a bucket in S3 because we had set it up that way a long time ago.

I simply had to recover them and put them back under openedx/media/video-transcripts

Problem solved.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.