Unable to install mfe plugin on tutor local

Hi,
I’m very new to Open EdX and tutor and trying to navigate installing it and making everything work locally. I followed the steps on the documentation and it went fairly well (tutor local launch runs and I’m able to access local.edly.io), but for some reason, indigo and mfe plugins weren’t installed.

I tried running: tutor plugins install mfe and I’m getting:

⚠️  Failed to enable plugin 'indigo': plugin 'indigo' is not installed.
⚠️  Failed to enable plugin 'mfe': plugin 'mfe' is not installed.
Error: Plugin 'mfe' could not be found in indexes` 

I tried running: tutor plugins update and I’m getting:

**⚠️ Failed to enable plugin 'indigo': plugin 'indigo' is not installed.**
**⚠️ Failed to enable plugin 'mfe': plugin 'mfe' is not installed.**
Fetching index https://overhang.io/tutor/main/redwood/plugins.yml...
Failed to update index. Request error: <urlopen error [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: unable to get local issuer certificate (_ssl.c:1000)>
Plugin index local cache: /Users/laureen/Library/Application Support/tutor/env/plugins/index/cache.yml

I checked that the index was installed and it is, so I’m not sure what to do from here.
My setup is:

• Mac M1
  • Docker version 27.1.1, build 6312585,
  • tutor, version 18.1.3

Any help would be very much appreciated! Happy to provide more info if needed.

Hi, can you provide the steps you took to install tutor? Did you use full install Tutor: the Docker-based Open edX distribution designed for peace of mind — Tutor documentation?

You can try running tutor images build mfe and then see if you can enable the plugin

Hi! These are the steps I followed for installing it, after I installed Docker:

git clone https://github.com/overhangio/tutor
cd tutor
pip install -e 

Thank you for the suggestion! This is what I get when I run tutor images build mfe:

⚠️  Failed to enable plugin 'indigo': plugin 'indigo' is not installed.
⚠️  Failed to enable plugin 'mfe': plugin 'mfe' is not installed.
Error: Image 'mfe' could not be found

Are mfe plugin in plugins list?

tutor plugins list

Are mfe plugin package installed?

pip show tutor-mfe

If package not installed, select your version and install it tutor-mfe · PyPI

For the first time installation I’m advise you to use pip repo. pip install "tutor[full]" installs Tutor alongside with essential plugin packages as it says in docs Installing Tutor — Tutor documentation

2 Likes

I tried running pip install "tutor[full]" and it looks like it fixed the issues I was having. Thank you!

1 Like