Upgrade from Native to Tutor

1. We have django apps installed in our native installed open edx. Is there a way we can also migrate it into tutor koa? It seems that django-apps has different configurations in tutor.

We did not have specific owned djangoapps installed in our native fork of Open edX for Koa.3. I can’t help you with that. Let’s hope someone will be able to help you.

1. Can we not just upgrade directly from tutor koa to tutor nutmeg by running upgrade commands? Why should we do it gradually like from koa to lilac, lilac to maple, maple to nutmeg?

It is how it was suggested to me. It is how we also did it when we were in Native. It’s a step by step process to make sure you do not miss a specific migration between releases. Going directly from Koa to Nutmeg wasn’t recommended.

1. If so, can I also have some references on how to upgrade it gradually?

It will look something similar to this:

tutor local stop

install the latest release of tutor for lilac following the instructions on Releases · overhangio/tutor · GitHub

tutor config save

tutor local upgrade --from=koa

tutor local quickstart

Repeat for maple and nutmeg.
If you go to olive, it will be tutor local launch instead.

At some point, if you have your own fork, you may need to rebuild images with your own fork.

For example:

tutor images build openedx --build-arg EDX_PLATFORM_REPOSITORY=https://github.com/MyORG/edx-platform.git --build-arg EDX_PLATFORM_VERSION=MyBRANCH --no-cache

tutor local start -d

where you would substitute MyORG with your organization and MyBRANCH with the branch from your fork

You can look at the following for more instructions:

1 Like