Core contributors commitment standard

I’m glad we can have an open conversation about work time as a metric. As far as I remember, at no point did we decide as a community to rely on work time to rank core contributors. I think it’s a tremendously important conversation to have.

Right, I’ve been there as well. In such as situation, I think it would be fair to say that you closed a “nightmare”-level issue, right? This would grant you a badge that recognizes that you have extensive experience with Open edX. Because beginner contributors are unable to resolve difficult/nightmare issues.

I think that we should not be ranking core contributors according to any single metric or KPI. As soon as we start relying on a single KPI, that metric instantly becomes flawed because people start optimizing for it. But “time spent on a issue” is an even worse metric because the incentive becomes for contributors to become less efficient. Core contributors are rewarded for spending more time on any single issue. For instance if I spend 50 hours working on a few easy issues I will be catapulted to the top of the core contributor leaderboard. I think everyone would agree that we do not want to encourage this kind of behaviour.

If we agree it’s a flawed metric, then please let’s not use it to rank contributors! We do not need to rank core contributors, so let’s stop doing it.

I think that this metric is actually worse than “flawed”: it’s downright terrible and toxic. Consider this from the perspective of an Open edX outsider. Would you join an open source project that encourages presenteeism? Where your contributions are unfairly compared people who work full-time on the project? Have we seen this metric being used in any other successful open source project? This metric acts as a deterrent for other people to join the project.

This is a great point.

What behaviour do we want to encourage? I think that we can all agree that we do want to attract $ donations, right? So we need to find a way to publicly recognize the impact of financial donations and sponsorship. From this perspective, I think that we should include financial sponsors in the CC program. Sponsors would not receive CC positions, but it would make sense to create an unlimited number of “CC sponsor” seats.

This is false. The fact that an individual can earn more money per hour definitely makes their time worth more. When they contribute for free to an open source project the loss of opportunity means they will make less money. So the cost of the “gift” is not the same at all.

Anyhow, I’m not asking either that we rank core contributors by hourly rate, or the financial value of their contributions. Just to reiterate my position: we should not be ranking core contributors at all.

Reporting hours isn’t onerous to me either. This is not an issue for me. What is an issue is that reporting hours makes me feel like another cog in the machine. It’s killing the joy of contributing to an open source community. I want to feel like I’m a unique snowflake, not a nine to five employee – and I suspect many other contributors are like me.

Let’s ask the same question again: what do we want to achieve? What sort of behaviour do we want to encourage? I want to encourage people to fix issues, implement features, make interesting conference/meetup talks, communicate with the community, etc. So let’s do that! This is basic management: let’s start by publicly acknowledging the contributions of individual community members who make exceptional work.

3 Likes