Ecommerce-related Repository Maintainership Transfer

Hi all,

Relating to this post, some of these repos are deprecated, and while 2U has largely stepped away from maintaining them bit by bit over the last few months, the role of maintainer is open:

This post is to collect the mixed state of deprecation/ownership/maintainership of these repos in a place visible to the community.

Tagging @feanil here for visibility as well.

Thanks,
Chris

2 Likes

Thanks for posting @Christopher_Pappas. I know weā€™ve had some version of this up and down for a while but for the sake of clarity. If we donā€™t hear anything by 2024-08-06T04:00:00Z Iā€™ll create a DEPR for all these repos and all the corresponding code in other repos related to it.

The plan will be to:

• Deprecate these once the DEPR is accepted.
  • Have a separate DEPR the code in other repos that will provide a longer runway (6-months) for removal so that people have time to shift away from the un-supported code.
2 Likes

@feanil I will check with my team and get back to you. This has been the most difficult project to either let go or maintain. It is actively used in a project Iā€™m working on.

If a couple of days is fine, I appreciate an extension.

Thanks @mafermazu for the reminder.

Sure @omar Iā€™ll check back in on Monday next week.

Hi @feanil
We appreciate your efforts in addressing the state of the e-commerce repositories. @johanv26 and I are interested in stepping up as maintainers for the ecommerce and ecommerce-worker repositories.

Could you please provide us with the necessary next steps to formalize this commitment?

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Andrey,

That sounds good, but Iā€™m reluctant to have the backends be maintained if there are no maintainers for the front-end that is now required for those backends to work. Is there someone who could take the front-ends and collaborate with Andrey and @johanv26 ?

Also, @Andrey and @johanv26 you are not CCs on those repos at the moment but I think you could nominate yourselves based on the work you did to help test and review the Python 3.11/3.12 upgrades in those repos. That will be a pre-requisite to becoming maintainers there so probably best to get that going.

-Feanil

@omar Any updates from you? Would yā€™all be willing to take on the MFEs if Andre and Johan help with the backends?

1 Like

Johan, Andrey and I are concerned on the same specific project weā€™re working on. So, itā€™s only the backend weā€™re looking at and we think the frontends arenā€™t that helpful at the moment because theyā€™re incomplete.

Iā€™m still discussing with the customer and @jalondonot.

One key information that could be helpful is what was the historical cost of maintaining all the ecommerce components including MFEs.

The entire engineering capacity dedicated for that project is 5 engineers including infrastructure, customer support and feature development.

1 Like

I think given the complexity of work needed and the fact that all the concerns are from the same underlying project which would have its capacity split among other work as well, it doesnā€™t make sense to continue maintaining this particular set of commerce tools for the whole community.

Given that we havenā€™t gotten someone to step up to steward all of the work needed to make this stable and usable for the foreseeable future and given that the underlying django-oscar project has dropped support for MySQL our default database, I think it makes the most sense to deprecate the current commerce system and document alternatives as we have been discussing in tCRIL Funded Contribution - WooCommerce Discovery - #3 by mafermazu

3 Likes

Thanks Feanil. In this case, itā€™s not feasible to fix Django Oscar issues.

Letā€™s get better options for us and the potentially the community. Unfortunatley, as it stands, WordPress WooCommerce isnā€™t an option for us.

Weā€™ll keep the community in the loop.

Sounds good, yea, I think we need multiple options and a clear base interfaces so that people can integrate what they need. For now at least the enrollment API is pretty straightforward to integrate with, and hopefully with frontend slots, it will become easier to jump back/forth between whatever commerce system people are using and the edx-platform UIs.