Failed to setup SSO that connecting to Google account

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to enable the third party authentication (trying with Google account first) on a fresh installation with tutor, and I failed. I never see the “Login with Google” button showed on the login page.

I’m new to openedx. I followed the document below to setup SSO without any luck. Did I miss anything? Thank you for your help.

https://edx.readthedocs.io/projects/edx-installing-configuring-and-running/en/open-release-ironwood.master/configuration/tpa/index.html

How to reproduce
Here is what I did to install openedx and configure SSO.

Install the openedx services and create an admin user.

tutor local quickstart
==================================================
        Interactive platform configuration
==================================================
Your website domain name for students (LMS) [www.myopenedx.com]
Your website domain name for teachers (CMS) [studio.www.myopenedx.com]
Your platform name/title [My Open edX]
Your public contact email address [contact@www.myopenedx.com]
The default language code for the platform [en]
Activate SSL/TLS certificates for HTTPS access? Important note: this will NOT work in a development environment. [y/N]

# everything up and running ......

tutor local createuser --staff --superuser admin admin@email.com
docker-compose -f /Users/max/Library/Application Support/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.yml --project-name tutor_local exec lms sh -e -c
export DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE=$SERVICE_VARIANT.envs.$SETTINGS
echo "Loading settings $DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE"

./manage.py lms manage_user  --superuser --staff admin admin@email.com

./manage.py lms changepassword admin

Loading settings lms.envs.tutor.production
WARNING:py.warnings:/openedx/edx-platform/lms/djangoapps/courseware/__init__.py:5: DeprecationWarning: Importing 'lms.djangoapps.courseware' as 'courseware' is no longer supported
  warnings.warn("Importing 'lms.djangoapps.courseware' as 'courseware' is no longer supported", DeprecationWarning)

2020-03-11 08:33:18,500 WARNING 486 [enterprise.utils] utils.py:50 - Could not import Registry from third_party_auth.provider
2020-03-11 08:33:18,510 WARNING 486 [enterprise.utils] utils.py:51 - cannot import name _LTI_BACKENDS
Created new user: "admin"
Setting is_staff for user "admin" to "True"
Setting is_superuser for user "admin" to "True"
Created new profile for user: "admin"
Adding user "admin" to groups []
Removing user "admin" from groups []
2020-03-11 08:33:20,718 INFO 486 [tracking] logger.py:42 - {"username": "", "event_source": "server", "name": "edx.user.settings.changed", "accept_language": "", "time": "2020-03-11T08:33:20.718154+00:00", "agent": "", "page": null, "host": "", "session": "", "referer": "", "context": {}, "ip": "", "event": {"user_id": 3, "truncated": [], "old": false, "setting": "is_superuser", "table": "auth_user", "new": true}, "event_type": "edx.user.settings.changed"}
2020-03-11 08:33:20,726 INFO 486 [tracking] logger.py:42 - {"username": "", "event_source": "server", "name": "edx.user.settings.changed", "accept_language": "", "time": "2020-03-11T08:33:20.726757+00:00", "agent": "", "page": null, "host": "", "session": "", "referer": "", "context": {}, "ip": "", "event": {"user_id": 3, "truncated": [], "old": null, "setting": "password", "table": "auth_user", "new": null}, "event_type": "edx.user.settings.changed"}
2020-03-11 08:33:20,729 INFO 486 [tracking] logger.py:42 - {"username": "", "event_source": "server", "name": "edx.user.settings.changed", "accept_language": "", "time": "2020-03-11T08:33:20.729127+00:00", "agent": "", "page": null, "host": "", "session": "", "referer": "", "context": {}, "ip": "", "event": {"user_id": 3, "truncated": [], "old": false, "setting": "is_staff", "table": "auth_user", "new": true}, "event_type": "edx.user.settings.changed"}
WARNING:py.warnings:/openedx/edx-platform/lms/djangoapps/courseware/__init__.py:5: DeprecationWarning: Importing 'lms.djangoapps.courseware' as 'courseware' is no longer supported
  warnings.warn("Importing 'lms.djangoapps.courseware' as 'courseware' is no longer supported", DeprecationWarning)

2020-03-11 08:33:26,783 WARNING 596 [enterprise.utils] utils.py:50 - Could not import Registry from third_party_auth.provider
2020-03-11 08:33:26,791 WARNING 596 [enterprise.utils] utils.py:51 - cannot import name _LTI_BACKENDS
Changing password for user 'admin'
Password:
Password (again):

Add "ENABLE_THIRD_PARTY_AUTH": true to file env/apps/openedx/config/lms.env.json.
Add the following to env/apps/openedx/config/lms.auth.json file:

"SOCIAL_AUTH_OAUTH_SECRETS": { 
    "google-oauth2": "my-secret-key"
  },

Restart all services:

tutor local stop
tutor local start --detach

Open URL http://localhost/admin/third_party_auth/oauth2providerconfig/ and configured the provider’s information.

Open URL http://localhost/login, there is no “Login with Google” button on the page.

The log file of lms shows this message repeatedly, not sure if this cause the issue.

2020-03-11 08:19:00,808 WARNING 39 [enterprise.utils] utils.py:50 - Could not import Registry from third_party_auth.provider
2020-03-11 08:19:00,823 WARNING 39 [enterprise.utils] utils.py:51 - cannot import name _LTI_BACKENDS

Environment
macOS Catalina Version 10.15.3 / Linux ubuntu04 4.15.0-88-generic #88~16.04.1-Ubuntu
tutor, version 3.11.5

This is quite a late reply, but I ran into the same problem today. Hope this reaches anyone else with the same problem.

After some hours of debugging and trying out different stuff, I fixed it by using no Icon Class in the Adming panel. I just deleted the fa-google-plus text, uploaded my own logo and that did the trick!

I’m guessing the Edx documentation is outdated and the Google icon is not called fa-google-plus anymore?

I’m having the same issue. I did the same as you said but still no icon showing. I’d appreciate if you could post how your config looks like