Fresh Palm install "tutor dev launch" fails with "pull access denied for overhangio/openedx-communications-dev"

I’m setting up a test local VM with Palm installed so someone other than me can fight with the lack of certificate customization guidance in the tutor/indigo era. So this question pertains to a freshly installed VM running Ubuntu 22.04; it’s not related to my previous upgrade-install questions.

I downloaded and installed Palm as follows:

sudo apt install python3 python3-pip libyaml-dev -y
pip install "tutor[full]"
sudo reboot
tutor plugins enable mfe
tutor plugins enable forum
tutor config save
tutor dev launch

This fails with the following error:

======================================================
        Starting the platform in detached mode
======================================================
docker compose -f /home/user/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.yml -f /home/user/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.prod.yml --project-name tutor_local stop
docker compose -f /home/user/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.yml -f /home/user/.local/share/tutor/env/dev/docker-compose.yml --project-name tutor_dev up --remove-orphans -d
[+] Running 16/16
 ✘ smtp Error                                                                                                                                                                           0.2s 
 ✘ forum Error                                                                                                                                                                          0.2s 
 ✘ account Error                                                                                                                                                                        0.2s 
 ✘ authn Error                                                                                                                                                                          0.2s 
 ✘ communications Error                                                                                                                                                                 0.2s 
 ✘ course-authoring Error                                                                                                                                                               0.2s 
 ✘ discussions Error                                                                                                                                                                    0.2s 
 ✘ elasticsearch Error                                                                                                                                                                  0.2s 
 ✘ permissions Error                                                                                                                                                                    0.2s 
 ✘ gradebook Error                                                                                                                                                                      0.2s 
 ✘ learning Error                                                                                                                                                                       0.2s 
 ✘ mongodb Error                                                                                                                                                                        0.2s 
 ✘ mysql Error                                                                                                                                                                          0.2s 
 ✘ ora-grading Error                                                                                                                                                                    0.2s 
 ✘ profile Error                                                                                                                                                                        0.2s 
 ✘ redis Error                                                                                                                                                                          0.2s 
Error response from daemon: pull access denied for overhangio/openedx-communications-dev, repository does not exist or may require 'docker login': denied: requested access to the resource is denied
Error: Command failed with status 18: docker compose -f /home/user/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.yml -f /home/user/.local/share/tutor/env/dev/docker-compose.yml --project-name tutor_dev up --remove-orphans -d

FWIW I added my user to the docker user group, and can launch the docker hello world without using sudo, so I don’t think it’s a docker permissions error.

@regis is this a tutor-side configuration error on account of the fresh release?

1 Like

Same problem.

This issue was reported here: tutor dev launch fails with missing docker image · Issue #132 · overhangio/tutor-mfe · GitHub
Basically, CI had not been configured to build some of the dev images. This issue is now resolved: Docker

To bypass such issues, you always have the option to re-build images locally: tutor images build all.

Thank you. But here its another problem - while dev launch cant connect to mysql

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.