What are the instructions for creating a custom course completion certificate in Nutmeg?

Past guides like this one are out of date and inaccurate as they were written for a pre-tutor world, and the cited Django admin pages don’t appear to exist anymore.

I attempted this on Nutmeg, with tutor, version 14.0.3, and the indigo theme.

I created a tutor plugin .local/share/tutor-plugins/custom_certificate.yml like:

---
name: custom_certificate
version: 0.1.0
patches:
    lms-env: |
      "CUSTOM_CERTIFICATE_TEMPLATES_ENABLED": True

did tutor plugins enable custom_certificate, and did tutor config save

I did cp -r edx-platform/lms/templates/certificates/ indigo/theme/lms/templates/ as directed here to include the baseline certificate information into the custom theme (since it’s not there by default).

I then edited indigo/theme/lms/templates/certificates/_about-accomplishments.html (and some other files) to have a <h1>CAN YOU SEE THIS 1</h1> line embedded in it

Then I ran

tutor plugins enable indigo
(even though it was already enabled)
time tutor images build openedx
tutor local quickstart

Note: The indigo instructions say to do tutor local do settheme indigo but I just get Error: No such command 'do'., But apparently tutor local settheme indigo seems to work.

However, at the end of all this, I don’t see my change anywhere in the certificate when I preview it for a class. It still just looks like the default. So what’s the right way to set a custom theme these days?

Hello @ABC,

Your steps/commands seem to be correct except for one: tutor local quickstart.

I don’t understand why you are doing quickstart after build creation. If you want to apply changes of your latest build you just need to do the following:

tutor local stop
tutor local start -d

And I have also created a public GitHub Gist to set up a theme in the Tutor Open edX world. You can take a look here: Useful command of Tutor Open edX · GitHub

Hard lessons with tutor have taught me that quickstart is universally more likely to yield success than just a stop and start, as it appears to do a superset of things, including restarting services that may have issues.

Yes, I have learned the same lessons for the quickstart but it is not always necessary. Just stop & start is sufficient to get your latest changes applied.

Anyone else have any ideas of how to customize course creation certificates?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.