Gmail filters for direct mentions?

Hello!

Has anyone figured out how to create a gmail filter to flag/label/otherwise distinguish messages from discuss.openedx.org which directly mention you? I’ve tried filters like this, but they just match everything, since the email “to” field always matches my name:

list:(development.discuss.openedx.org) "@jill"
list:(development.discuss.openedx.org) +"@jill" 

I’m afraid my only options are to a) remember to check the /notifications/mentions page often, or b) change my Discourse notification settings so that I don’t get every post sent to my Forums inbox, just the direct mentions or followed posts… which would be ok, but I do like having a very searchable record in my inbox.

How have other people been managing this?

1 Like

Hello Jill,
it looks like that Gmail doesn’t recognize special search characters and therefor it is not possible to create a filter by searching “@username” but you can create a filter by searching this expression from:openedx@discoursemail.com -jill and it’ll significantly reduce number of received emails directly inside your inbox. unfortunately i found that if you create a post yourself and the responder doesn’t mention you in his response, then it would be filtered out. I myself managed to filter out all emails from discuss into a category and I check that daily or every couple of days.

@jill I don’t know a way, but I’ve asked on meta.discourse.org: https://meta.discourse.org/t/notification-reasons-in-the-email/132009

1 Like