Hosted Service: Query on hardware requirements

I from a federal university in India. I am required to set up an LMS and have recommended Open edX.
I will be required to call for quotations from vendors in order to set up a cloud-based service.
My requirements are as follows:
At least 30 courses initially and over 90 courses over a period of one year.
To cater to 5800 users including 5500 students and 300 teachers.
Concurrent users on the platform is expected to be about 15% (around 850 users).
My query is:
What server requirements do I ask for when I invite quotations from vendors?
Please help out this noob.
Thanks and warm regards
vasuki belavadi

Hi @DIRECTOR_CDLTR and welcome!

If you are going with a service provider, I recommend visiting Open edX platform installation and hosting Archives - Open edX - when you reach out to them you will be able to discuss your needs and appropriate systems to meet those needs.

I am unable to answer your question about system requirements, although the documentation here may be a good place to start: Running Open edX — Tutor documentation

I think simply reaching out to vendors with your requirements will be a good way to start.

Thank you Sarina. I did look up the market place.
I was looking for a ballpark configuration that I can begin with since any small change in the configuration would impact the cost of setting up the LMS.
Thanks and warm regards

If it’s of any help, then from my experience I’d recommend a minimum of 16GB RAM. Docker build commands certainly benefit from having more ram available, though for general day-to-day usage it seems to run fine on 12GB RAM in my instance.

CPU is not too big of a concern from what I’ve seen, the difference in performance between 2-4 cores didn’t seem that big, though I usually run 4x cores. For a year or so I had Tutor running on an old server from 2011 with no issues.

Storage requirements depends a lot on how you run your system, if you have all your videos hosted on YouTube for example then you don’t need a lot of storage to run the system, but if you’re going to store hundreds of hours of video content in the LMS then you’re going to need plenty storage to accommodate it.

My server caters to about 250 students, for what it’s worth.

If you want to get some real-world data without first investing into a cloud solution you could try out a local deployment on a VM or old PC you have lying around in storage and trial-run it with some/all of your students to get an idea of the performance at different hardware specs.

Thank you Joel.
I will apply the principles to come up with a configuration for my requirements.
Warm regards