Hardware Requirements to Run Open edX and Databases

Greetings

I am running a small setup on a few local servers.
Presently we have about 1K users over a period of 3 years
Of cause the active users is very much less, and I think it is presently only 300 active users.

We are likely going to increase our active users during the next 1 month to around 10K users.
and over the next 2 years it will likely go up to 100K active users.

Since we are a “Not for Profit” organization we are blessed with free internet provided by 3 companies.
This of-cause also limit us to use local hardware and prevent us from going on the Cloud.

My idea is to get new hardware and install a completely clean installation.
I would like initially have some advice on hardware requirement to run EDX for 100K users.

Thank you for any link to a document which has description for this

with metta
Mettavihari

Dear @Mettavihari,

Following are my thoughts

1. I would recommend to go with the cloud because of its high availability, Scaling and to avoid maintenance headache of local systems.
  2. Try reaching out to Microsoft Azure/ GCP/ AWS. Some of them will give deep discounts on cloud infrastructure because your organization is for education /not for profit.
  3. Storage/Hardware specification also depends on the type of content(Like what is the quality of the video, Text and other components if any)

Cheers,
Chinmay

1 Like

Greetings

Thank you for the advice, but we are provided free services by our local Internet Providers, so we feel it will be better for us to get a local server setup.

After-all a cloud is just a bundle of local servers that are linked together.
I believe we will learn more this way.

with metta
Mettavihari

Dear @Mettavihari,

In such case can you please share the existing configuration of the machine catering to 1k users(300 active users).
This will give a baseline to calculate multiplication factor for scaling.

Cheers,
Chinmay

Greetings

Thank you for your input.
I do not think graphics is good on this list, but this should give you some idea of one of my setups
I will send you the graphics to your private mail

|NGINX,firewall|8 GB|1 TB|Intel® Core™ i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz|
|EDX,VM|16 GB|1 TB|Intel® Core™ i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz|
|MongoDB|8 GB|1 TB|Intel® Core™ i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz|
|MySql|8 GB|1 TB|Intel® Core™ i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz|
|OpenMeetings|8 GB|1 TB, 4 TB|Intel® Core™ i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz|
|ClibBucket|8 GB|1 TB, 4 TB|Intel® Core™ i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz|
|Video Streaming|8 GB|4 TB, 4 TB, 4 TB, 4 TB|Intel® Core™ i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz|
|Video Backup|32 GB|4 TB, 4 TB, 4 TB, 4 TB, 4 TB, 4 TB|Intel® Core™ i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60GHz|

with metta
Mettavihari

2 Likes