How can I change the appearance of login/register?

Hi,

I’ve started developing my own theme in tutor. I want to modify how the login/register screen looks like. I understood I first need to find which .html file is served for this page and then make the same .html file in my theme with the corresponding path. The problem is, I cannot seem to be able to find which .html file is served and this happens a lot with edx-platform. I search for something that should 100% be in the codebase, yet it doesnt exist. For example. to locate the .html file for login and register, I searched for “emailOrUsername”:

it DOES NOT EXIST in any file at all:

How is that possible? Is this html somehow loaded from the database?
I have two problems I’d like to find answer to:

1. I cannot locate where the corresponding .html file for login/register is
  2. I do not understand how this works obviously, since I expected searching for “emailOrUsername” would find the corresponding .html file.

Thank you.

Hi. The login and registration are served from an MFE, authn GitHub - openedx/frontend-app-authn: Open edX micro-frontend application for new login and registration experience.. tutor-mfe plugin is responsible for adding authn and other MFEs GitHub - overhangio/tutor-mfe: This plugin makes it possible to easily add micro frontend (MFE) applications on top of an Open edX platform that runs with Tutor..

2 Likes

Thank you, that helps a lot! I am currently reading the MFE development part in GitHub - overhangio/tutor-mfe: This plugin makes it possible to easily add micro frontend (MFE) applications on top of an Open edX platform that runs with Tutor.

I would just like to ask for a little bit guidance on this. As far as I understood, I need to:

Now if I make changes in ~/myapp .jsx files or whatever files, it should hot-reload on http://apps.local.edly.io:1995/](http://apps.local.edly.io:1995/?

I also don’t understand the naming of the repository and the directory, how should they be?

Thank you.

Hey Muhamed,

It seems you are taking quite a peculiar approach to changing your MFE design. There are many approaches to doing this depending on what your requirement is. What is it you are trying to do exactly?

Hi Mohamed,

I’m simply trying to change the appearance of the login/register. I have a Figma design on how these should look and I’m trying to customize them. I haven’t found a better solution than to just change the underlying React code of the MFE. Is there something I’m missing?

Thank you.

For the CSS values of the MFE you can fork the :

repository and installing it on the images using a hook plugin that looks sort of like this:

from tutor import hooks

hooks.Filters.ENV_PATCHES.add_item(
    (
        "mfe-dockerfile-post-npm-install",
        """
RUN npm install '@edx/brand@git+https://github.com/name of your fork.git'
"""
    )
)

Following that, build the mfe image and restart it or start -d to see your changes.

You can follow this thread for more information

Hi,

Thank you for the useful information. This seems like a better way to customize MFEs, but I don’t see how I can do development with this. If I am putting the link to the repo I forked, how could I locally change styles and immediately see the changes with this approach?

Thank you.

The plugin installs the package into all your mfes when you run tutor images build mfe and restart

Hi @Muhamed_Cicak ,
Have you looked over the documentation for how to do local development on MFEs? You’ll essentially bind-mount your custom MFE directory. On that note, pay attention to the note at the bottom of the section: Note: the name of the bind-mount folder needs to match the name of the repository word-for-word. If you've forked an MFE repository with a custom name, be sure to change the name back to ensure the bind-mount works properly. In other words, your fork of the authn repo needs to be named frontend-app-authn.

In your tutor plugins folder, create a custom plugin using these instructions.

Assuming you’ve enabled the plugin and done a tutor config save, you’ll need to rebuild the authn-dev image: tutor images build authn-dev, and then you can try tutor dev launch.

Hopefully you’ll be able to sort it out. Please do a search for bind-mounting MFEs/customizing MFEs in this forum. There have been other forays into documenting/understanding this, but it’s all spread out and hard to find in once place, plus it’s further confused by the fact that the process seems to have changed from version to version.

See: Tutor [Palm]: How to bind-mount a local MFE folder

Thank you rediris. I’ve managed to do development with MFEs on dev environment, but now I want to deploy it on the server where I use the local environment. How would I go about it? Specifically, I’m trying to replace the default authn with my own. I tried adding a plugin like:

from tutormfe.hooks import MFE_APPS

@MFE_APPS.add()
def _add_my_mfe(mfes):
    mfes["authn"] = {
        "repository": "https://github.com/myorg/frontend-app-authn.git",
        "port": 2001,
    }
    return mfes

as per the documentation: GitHub - overhangio/tutor-mfe: This plugin makes it possible to easily add micro frontend (MFE) applications on top of an Open edX platform that runs with Tutor.

but after I do tutor local launch the built-in authn is still used when I vist https://apps.local.edly.io/authn/login

That doesn’t sound convenient, I have to build the mfe image everytime I make a change in order to see the changes?

Hi @Muhamed_Cicak when bind-mounting an MFE locally, the changes are hot loaded in milliseconds to seconds, depending on your machine. It’s not like waiting for the openedx lms/cms to build.

Did you try the following?

tutor mounts add /path/to/your/local/mfe/authn
tutor config save
tutor dev launch

Keep in mind tutor local launch is emulating a production environment, and tutor dev launch is for local development.

Hi rediris,

Yes, this solution worked both for development and for local environment. For local environment I had to tutor images build mfe after adding the mounts but it works for both perfectly fine. Thank you and Mohamed for helping me out! Now the only issue I have is that learner-dashboard seems to be an exception, it does not work. I do the same steps but I get:

docker compose -f /home/silidrone/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.yml -f /home/silidrone/.local/share/tutor/env/dev/docker-compose.yml --project-name tutor_dev up --remove-orphans -d
[+] Running 0/1
⠿ learner-dashboard Error 1.8s
Error response from daemon: pull access denied for overhangio/openedx-learner-dashboard-dev, repository does not exist or may require ‘docker login’: denied: requested access to the resource is denied
Error: Command failed with status 18: docker compose -f /home/silidrone/.local/share/tutor/env/local/docker-compose.yml -f /home/silidrone/.local/share/tutor/env/dev/docker-compose.yml --project-name tutor_dev up --remove-orphans -d

I opened up another topic for this but no one seems to answer it as there was a same topic about it unanswered for a long time now…

My topic is here: Tutor MFE overhangio/openedx-learner-dashboard-dev, repository does not exist?

When running tutor in dev mode, rather than building the full MFE image, I found out you can build the individual MFE images like so: tutor images build learner-dashboard-dev - so, effectively the MFE name followed by -dev.

1 Like

Hi, I would like to ask for a guidance on how to change the styles of login/learners dashboard page, I do:

- Fork https://github.com/openedx/brand-openedx
- Then create folder into ~/.local/share with the name of tutor-plugins and inside tutor-plugins I create custommfe.py and insert this command 

(
    "mfe-dockerfile-post-npm-install",
    """

RUN npm install ‘@edx/brand@git+https://github.com/allenluna/VXI_Brand-OpenEdx.git’
“”"
)
)

then followed by tutor images build mfe, after running this command I encountered this error.

Hey @allen_luna,
The error you are facing is generating because you are building all the MFEs simultaneously which consume most of the resources. I think just try to first build with the authn MFE by changing this line mfe-dockerfile-post-npm-install to mfe-dockerfile-post-npm-install-authn and same for learner-dashboard. Not seems a better way, but this will build these two MFEs and rest of the MFEs builds will pick from cache.

Hi @hinakhadim ,

One last question, I just create new plugin and already enable it ./local/share/tutor-plugins/custommfe.py
inside the custommfe.py

from tutormfe.hooks import MFE_APPS
from tutor import hooks

@MFE_APPS.add()
def _add_my_mfe(mfes):
mfes[“mymfe”] = {
“repository”: “GitHub - allenluna/VXI_Brand-OpenEdx: Authn Customization”,
“port”: 2001,
}
return mfes

(
“mfe-dockerfile-post-npm-install”,
“”"
RUN npm install ‘@edx/brand@git+https://github.com/allenluna/VXI_Brand-OpenEdx.git’
“”"
)
)

but every time I run tutor images build mfe, my server hanging up