How to run custom Open edX project in localhost

I have the edx-platform, ecommerce, ecommerce-themes, credentials and edx-theme directories. I have installed successfully tutor and devstack but I didn’t find the way to replace these custom directories. So, what is the correct way to replace them ?

After devstack runned successfully, I tried replacing the default directories with the custom ones but when I runned make dev.provision and then make dev.up but it didn’t work, and then the logs said that there were some missing dependencies.

You can take a look at this guide for preparing the development environment for developing an Open edX fork.
You do not need the devstack for most development cases.

@uetuluk I don’t think this answer applies as she’s not trying to run a fork she’s trying to start an existing project that wasn’t setup on her computer. i.e. downloaded the files and can’t seem to get them to run in devstack. Unless I’m missing something?

I am answering under the assumption that the custom Open edX project means a fork.

Are you encountering similar problems with your setup @Griff?

We are working on the same project. We have an existing openEdx project that someone made. We have the folders that are published to source control, and we’re trying to import them into our local setup. That’s why she said she was trying to replace default directories - we want to use the ones from source control.

EDIT

After devstack runned successfully, I tried replacing the default directories with the custom ones but when I runned make dev.provision I get this output

The thing that I tried was replace the default directories with the custom directories (open-edx-platform, ecommerce, …, etc).

+ docker-compose exec -T lms bash -e -c 'source /edx/app/edxapp/edxapp_env && cd /edx/app/edxapp/edx-platform && NO_PYTHON_UNINSTALL=1 paver install_prereqs'
/edx/app/edxapp/edxapp_env: line 13: manpath: command not found
---> pavelib.prereqs.install_prereqs
---> pavelib.prereqs.install_node_prereqs
npm install error detected. Retrying...

Captured Task Output:
---------------------

---> pavelib.prereqs.install_prereqs
---> pavelib.prereqs.install_node_prereqs
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/lib/python3.8/site-packages/paver/tasks.py", line 201, in _run_task
    return do_task()
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/lib/python3.8/site-packages/paver/tasks.py", line 198, in do_task
    return func(**kw)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/edx-platform/pavelib/utils/timer.py", line 40, in timed
    return wrapped(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/edx-platform/pavelib/prereqs.py", line 332, in install_prereqs
    install_node_prereqs()
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/lib/python3.8/site-packages/paver/tasks.py", line 333, in __call__
    retval = environment._run_task(self.name, self.needs, self.func)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/lib/python3.8/site-packages/paver/tasks.py", line 219, in _run_task
    return do_task()
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/lib/python3.8/site-packages/paver/tasks.py", line 198, in do_task
    return func(**kw)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/edx-platform/pavelib/utils/timer.py", line 40, in timed
    return wrapped(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/edx-platform/pavelib/prereqs.py", line 184, in install_node_prereqs
    prereq_cache("Node prereqs", ["package.json"], node_prereqs_installation)
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/edx-platform/pavelib/prereqs.py", line 111, in prereq_cache
    install_func()
  File "/edx/app/edxapp/edx-platform/pavelib/prereqs.py", line 154, in node_prereqs_installation
    raise Exception("npm install failed: See {}".format(npm_log_file_path))
Exception: npm install failed: See /edx/app/edxapp/edx-platform/test_root/log/npm-install.log

make[1]: *** [Makefile:217: impl-dev.provision] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pablo/Documents/prueba/devstack'
Would you like to assist devstack development by sending anonymous usage metrics to edX? Run `make metrics-opt-in` to learn more!
make: *** [Makefile:221: dev.provision] Error 2

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.