Is it possible to adjust edx-platform locales without making changes within conf/locale/config.yaml

Is it possible to adjust edx-platform locales without making changes within conf/locale/config.yamlIs it possible to adjust edx-platform locales without making changes within conf/locale/config.yaml?
step 3 of Internationalization and localization says:

Make sure all languages you wish to download are present and uncommented in conf/locale/config.yaml . For example, if you wish to download Arabic and Chinese (China), make sure your config.yaml file looks like this:

locales:
     - ar  # Arabic
     - zh_CN  # Chinese (China)

So I want to know does that configuration file have any other usage except downloading from transifex?
and is there any other solution that I don’t need to make those modifications every time I want to upgrade to a new release?

@mahyard, that configuration file is used by the transifex automation that periodically pulls and merges the latest translations for the officially supported languages.

If you want any other locale to be officially supported, you should discuss this with the Open edX maintainers about it. If that is accepted, the locale that you want will be officially included in all future releases of Open edX.

If not, you can maintain your own fork which you can use to install your own Open edX instance(s), and apply the changes to this file once whenever you do an upgrade and switch to a new release branch.

1 Like

hey @guruprasad, I appreciate your reply.
so considering that I’m not using translated messages from transifex, is it safe to not configuring that file at all? I want to make sure that it’s not being used somewhere else, like within edx-i18n package or some command-line tools.