OEP-30 - Personally identifiable information markup and auditing

Hi all,

We’re reviewing the existing OEPs and trying to update their state if they are still in “Provisional”. OEP-30 is one that I worked on in 2018-2019 that has been stuck in that state ever since.

A good deal of work was done toward implementing that OEP, including developing the code-annotations tool that we now use for a variety of other purposes. At some point the annotation check was disabled in edx-platform and hasn’t run in some time. While I personally think that it’s valuable to have the ability to audit PII and make sure that new fields are appropriately retired, there hasn’t been significant interest or adoption of the OEP.

So my question is, do folks in the community think this work is valuable enough to refresh this OEP, mark it as “accepted” and adopt some or all of it across the ecosystem, or should we “obsolete” it and remove the references that are scattered around? Is anyone using the tooling / checking the annotations?

As always, if folks think this is valuable we would also need someone to do the work of refreshing and maintaining the implementation. I’m happy to help and review, but cannot take on that much additional work at this time.

Looking forward to any feedback folks have on this!