Open edX Contributors Meetup

Sorry for the delay! Here is the recap from the meeting we held on 2022-04-05.

Video Recording

ConMeetup-05-04-22
The chat log can be found on the meeting’s agenda .

Participants

@antoviaque
@arbrandes
Kelly Buchanan
@Felipe
@mgmdi
@sarina
Julia Zack
@jmakowski
@Dean
@estebanetcheverry
@nedbat
@idegtiarov
@feanil
@sambapete
@djoy
@Andres.Aulasneo

Meeting notes

2. Working Groups Follow-Ups:

3. Events:

Open edX Conference: There will be a few talks that will be streamed. The details will be specified in the agenda of the event.

4. Projects:

Django events (@mgmdi - @Felipe): One PR at a time. 4 PRs to go out of the 7 PRs from the initial scope of the project.

5. Improvements and Calls/offers for help (@antoviaque)

“I want more visibility into the development/support status of components, especially MFEs. If a legacy frontend is being rewritten as an MFE, I think there should be a DEPR ticket for the legacy frontend from the get-go.”

Conclusions:

• There is no clear nor a specific roadmap or approach for this but the issue is well identified and the working groups are open to any suggestions. The DEPR working group will discuss this at the next meeting to improve the visibility of what is being removed and what is replacing it.
  • The process for deprecating should be revisited considering that the real community using Open edX around the world is larger than the one that is actively participating on the community channels.
  • A deprecation digest might be a good idea. Improving the information radiators that are currently in place seems to be a good approach for this.
  • Deprecations should be included in the roadmap and prioritized in terms of user and product impact

"Discuss posts (Core contributors sprint & meetup) have helpful information, but I haven’t found the time to read through them thoroughly. So I should include that as part of my CC tasks.

I reviewed a PR (since it fixed an issue I was having) and then realized it already had an assignee on the Jira board (I then @ the assignee to let him know). What should we do in that case?"

Conclusions:

• Tagging the assignee and letting her know you gave a review is the best approach for this scenario.

Further information in Core Contributor Sprint Retro - March 18th-April 1st

Next meetup

Tuesday April 19th at 15:00 UTC (Timezone converter).

Details and draft agenda on the Github board .

4 Likes