Contributors Meetup Async Update - October 28th, 2023 - November 10th, 2023

Core Contributor Update: Oct 28th - Nov 10th, 2023

Use the jump links below to view the section that interests you:

  1. Working Groups Updates
  2. Events
  3. Projects
  4. Next async update and meetup

1. Working Groups Updates

Working Groups Calendar

1.1. BTR Working Group

Chair: @jalondonot


:paperclip: Latest news


Blockers or Calls/offers for help


:memo: Meeting notes

1.2. Contributor Coordination Working Group

Chair: Jorge Londoño


:paperclip: Latest news

  • Debugging persistent grade issues
  • Open edX Survey Report
  • How do we make sure strings in frontend-app-communications are sent to Transifex?
  • MFEs for Quince
    • Learner dashboard MFE future is uncertain. They’re still figuring out what to do about it. The idea is to get it ready for Quince
  • Outdated MFEs
    • From the last frontend meeting: “Many MFEs are stuck an old FE platform version because of breaking changes.”
      • Adolfo talked about the challenges of keeping MFs up to date, particularly due to breaking changes in upgrades. Adolfo expressed hope that these issues could be solved with the help of Piral down the line (cf draft OEP-65).
  • MFEs documentation & reviews
    • From a September sprint update:
      • “Identify MFEs and new repos earlier and review the processes for enabling them. Advocate for better documentation and easier configuration while there’s still time to make changes.”
    • Adolfo mentioned that there is a list of requirements for an MFE in the wiki, which is being used to check the Learner dashboard against.
    • Adolfo outlined the current process for introducing a new MFE:
      • It includes a long-lived ticket with requirements (example) and an implicit review process. He suggested that the ownership of these issues could be better handled by someone more product-focused, as they could coordinate translation efforts and features.
      • The ultimate test for a new MFE is through BTR, where a plugin is made for the MFE and added to the Test Plan.
  • Frontend summit
    • Given the summit’s outcome, Xavier asked how we would prevent multiple implementations from persisting. Adolfo clarified that no decisions were made at the summit and that attendees were assigned tasks to propose unified solutions for all discussed use cases.
    • Braden and Kelly’s teams have proposed course authoring and learner dashboard solutions respectively. Adolfo stressed the need for further exploration and development of these proposals, aiming to unify the Learner dashboard to address most of the discussed use cases.
    • There will be an iterative approach developing the general direction of the learner dashboard. Ed emphasized the significance of having operational code and testing it in production, which everyone agreed upon regarding requirements.
    • Adolfo made it clear that they were not working towards Quince but for the following release, Redwood, intending to achieve version 1.0 of the architecture or Plugin API within six months.

:memo: Meeting notes

1.3. Data Working Group

Chair: @e0d & @blarghmatey


:paperclip: Latest news

  • Funded Contribution Updates:
    • Aspects data pipelines & reports wrapping up 11/17
    • New proposals are being iterated on
  • Aspects updates:
    • Beta server is updated with changes based on feedback
    • Cristhian Garcia is working on tracking log message delivery over the event bus
    • Translation pipeline is up and mostly working
    • Backend work continues while Chelsea gathers feedback on charts and dashboards
  • Event bus discussion:
    • The event bus use cases are growing quickly, I’d like to take a temperature check of the group and start putting out feelers around how comfortable people are with it and whether anyone would want to use it for Aspects event delivery. This may be an ongoing discussion point through several future meetings.
    • Why Aspects needs the event bus for performance & scaling:
      • Current approach (event-routing-backends + Ralph) creates many celery tasks per tracking log event.
      • Clickhouse prefers getting data in chunks rather than row-by-row.

:memo: Meeting notes

1.4. DEPR Working Group

Chair: @feanil


:paperclip: Latest news


:memo: Meeting notes

1.5. DevEx Working Group

Chair: @Rebecca_S_Graber & @kmccormick


:paperclip: Latest news


Blockers or Calls/offers for help


:memo: Meeting notes

1.6. DevOps Working Group

Chair: Régis Behmo


:paperclip: Latest news

  • Shubham Nagpal says: Hi Team Please provide you assiatance on How can I overcome the challenge of implementing path-level security in Open edX with EKS, considering that a classic load balancer doesn’t offer this feature, i can block the ips throught ACL but not the path is there any work arround.

:memo: Meeting notes


1.7. Educators Working Group

Chair: @john_curricume


:paperclip: Latest news

  • Lessons from Language MOOCs, Dr. Haohsiang Lao, Director of the Chinese Language Program at MIT

:memo: Meeting notes


Blockers or Calls/offers for help

  • Looking for any and all documentors!

1.8. Frontend Working Group

Chair: @arbrandes


:paperclip: Latest news

  • Deprecated code removal from edx-platform:
    • Account, profile, and some ecommerce pages
  • Breakages at 2U:
    • An internal template override (for a reverse() url) broke edx-platform
  • Should we announce before removal? Or should we add it to a planned release?
  • Could it have been caught by CI?
    • No, because it is an internal override
  • Should we support this kind of override in the first place?
    • Probably not.
  • We should just follow OEP-21, but since it’s taken so long for this particular DEPR ticket, an announcement in the forum would be corteous
  • Also, since edx-platform doesn’t have a proper CHANGELOG, make sure to flag commits with BREAKING CHANGE or !, and that will help the release notes author noticing it.
  • Renovate auto-rebase?
  • Do we need Renovate to auto-rebase stale PRs? (See frontend-platform.) It’s generating a lot of noise (because maintainers aren’t doing anything about them). (Slack thread.)
    • We should disable this across all repos. If individual maintainers feel the need to, they can re-enable it.

:memo: Meeting notes

1.9. Large Instances Working Group

Chair: @braden & @Felipe


:paperclip: Latest news

  • Updates from each org on the call - 2U, eduNEXT, OpenCraft, Raccoon Gang
    • 2U:
      • Testing devspace as a development environment for Kubernetes.
      • Making progress on containerizing all of our apps
      • Working on extracting Codejail to an external service.
    • Raccoon Gang:
      • Migration of all operations to K8S Tutor-based installations
      • Getting more involved in the Tutor project to contribute to its Core/plugins.
    • edSPIRIT:
      • Focus on improving operations on EKS OpenedX installations
      • Migrating the platform from Olive to Palm.
    • OpenCraft:
      • The creation of Sandbox installations when creating PRs in edx-platform and MFE’s repos is available (for specific users).
      • There’s an open issue related to a rate-limit problem when building MFE images with unauthenticated users.
    • Edunext:
      • Experiencing some leak memory/CPU issues when running the codejail service at a large scale. Trying to figure out the root cause of such behavior.
      • Will open a discussion in relation to the right way to add HPA to services in OpenedX.
  • Full Recap
    • Kubernetes Experimentation and Deployment Plans:
      • Jeremy mentioned that their farm is starting to experiment with Kubernetes-based development environments and is also working on improving container raising for their production uses. Max shared that they are planning to transfer all their deployments to a new installation and may contribute to tutor enhancement. They are also preparing for the upcoming release of Kubernetes 1.4.
    • Edx Plot Progress and Authentication Issues:
      • Gábor discussed the progress and challenges encountered in the completion of the Edx Plot and sandboxes for the platform. He highlighted the complexity of the process and mentioned that the past two weeks were largely spent on this task. Gábor also mentioned an issue with the authentication of the Doctor Biad, which was running into rate limits due to the lack of proper authentication for API calls. He stated that there was a plan to address this issue and it would require further discussion with Regis and Bit adorable.
    • Sandbox Feature Implementation for GitHub Request:
      • Gábor, Braden, Max, and jhony discussed the implementation of a sandbox feature for a GitHub request. They discussed the potential issues of hitting rate limits and the solution to use open-source resources. Gábor explained that each instance has its own Lms, Cms, and workers, and Max asked about the possibility of resource duplication. They discussed the shared resources and database servers, and Braden suggested the use of an empty database to speed up the first deployment. The team also addressed the problem of long provisioning times and plans to resolve it. Emad briefly participated in the discussion, but it’s unclear what his specific input was.
    • Project Status and Issues Evaluation:
      • Gábor, Braden, Emad, Max, and Johnny evaluated the status and issues of their shared projects. They discussed the use of helm charts for the Harmony Project and a lack of configuration in the Twitter Project.

:memo: Meeting notes

1.10. Marketing Working Group

Chair: Eden Huthmacher


:paperclip: Latest news


:memo: Meeting notes

1.11. Maintainers

Chair: Edward Zarecor


:paperclip: Latest news


:memo: Meeting notes

1.12. Product Working Group

Chair: Jenna Makowski


:paperclip: Latest news


:memo: Meeting notes

1.13. Security Working Group

Chair: Feanil Patel


:paperclip: Latest news


:memo: Meeting notes

1.14. TOC

Chair: Ed Zarecor


:paperclip: Latest news

Executive Summary

  • TOC Membership Changes: Virginia Fletcher replaces Julie Davis (2U), Samuel Paccoud (FUN) leaves
  • Conference Plans: Announcement imminent, the conference will be held later than usual
  • Mobile App Development: After the TOC approved to adopt the Raccoon Gang apps as the official mobile apps, progress has been made. There was a kick-off meetings with 2U and Raccoon Gang, as well as a comprehensive gap analysis.
  • Maintenance Funding: Discussed better spreading maintenance funding burden, as most currently falls on 2U, prompting discussions about the distribution of workload within the community. Opportunities for non-profit organizations to take on certain maintenance tasks were discussed.
  • Elected Representatives’ Term Extension: The TOC proposed and agreed to extend the representative term from one to two years to ensure representatives have sufficient time to be productive. Implementation starts with the current 2024 election.
  • Election Nominations: The TOC reviewed and approved the candidates for the 2024 community elections.
  • Front End Plugability Summit: A Front End Plugability Summit will be organized with the intent to resolve difficulties in adapting the front end to business-specific needs. Recommendations from the summit will be presented to the TOC.
  • Pull Request Review Delays: Significant delays in pull request reviews are hampering certain projects. Proposals were made to improve this situation, including expanding the core contributor program and improving pull request monitoring.
  • Forum Thread Discussions Summary: Various proposals were raised in the community forum, including expanding the maintainer program, involving edX/2U employees, improving pull request monitoring, and creating lighter roles for contributors.
  • Core Issues: Overburdened repository maintainers, misalignment with organizational use cases, and lack of predictability for external contributors were identified as significant problems. Having multiple reviewers and defining core repositories were proposed as solutions.
  • Stats: The core contributors’ capacity was summarized, with about 50 active contributors performing between 200 and 300 hours of work every two weeks.
  • Root Cause Analysis: Ancient project biases, late proposal reviews, the shift from proprietary to open, and the continuous delivery of repositories were identified as root causes of the issues.
  • Encouraging Participation in the Core Contributor Program: Issues were raised about the perceived value and benefits of becoming a core contributor, especially for those who already have merge access. Identifying platform parts that can be kept internally was suggested to accelerate velocity.
  • Open Source Project Deployment and Contribution: Proposals for managing automatic deployments from pull requests were explored. A reference version from the community’s standpoint was suggested.
  • Next Steps: The meeting agreed on creating a catalog of potential changes, pushing for earlier product reviews, improving the extension points and the platform’s plugability, identifying core repositories, encouraging community involvement and contribution, and exploring ways to clarify the open-source project’s social contract. The feasibility of delegated reviews and automatic deployment by 2U was to be discussed internally.

:memo: Meeting notes

1.15. Translation Working Group

Chair: Eden Huthmacher


:paperclip: Latest news


:memo: Meeting notes


2. Events

  • We are excited to announce the 2024 Open edX conference! The conference will be held at Stellenbosch University in Cape Town, South Africa and will take place between July 2nd and July 5th, 2024. Register here to secure your seat!

  • Would anyone like to highlight any past or upcoming events? Let us know in the comments!


3. Projects

Are there any new or ongoing projects you’d like to discuss? Get the conversation started in the comments below.


4. Next async update and meetup

  • Friday Nov 10th - Async update
  • Friday Nov 24th - Async update
  • Tuesday Nov 28th - Join the meetup here!
  • Details and draft agenda on Confluence

:speech_balloon: Anything to add?

If there’s anything else you’d like to mention, please let us know in the comments below.

2 Likes

Core Contributor Check-In: Oct 28 - Nov 11, 2023

:speaking_head: Let’s find cool stuff to collaborate on!

:mirror_ball: This is cool @Felipe says that what went well this sprint is finalizing the delivery of the Wordpress plugin that allows Open edX instances to sell courses using WooCommerce! :clap:t4: :clap:t4: :clap:t4:

This is a summary of responses for the end-of-sprint check-in. The full report is on Listaflow.

:stopwatch: Core Contributor Hours

This sprint we reported 219.25 hours of contributions, which is 3 hours more than the previous sprint of 216.25 hours. It was also reported to be a pretty productive sprint:

However we only achieved 25% response rate. It should be at least 3 times that size, if not 4 :slight_smile:

:notebook_with_decorative_cover: Summary of Responses

1. Do you need any help? Or is there anything you’d like to collaborate on?

@braden

2. What should we improve? Are there any blockers?

No comments.

3. What did you accomplish this sprint?

@antoviaque

  • Follow-up and answer questions/items from sprint retros feedback
  • Coordination around delegation of OSPRs for busy teams.
  • TOC Discussions about elections issues.

@juancamilom

  • 2 more product proposals submitted and started work on documentation for aspects and dashboards review.

@Felipe

  • Reviewed PRs 53 and 59 from the wordpress commerce plugin

@gabor

  • I was sick.

@ali_hugo

  • Completed user interviews about CC processes
  • Reviewed some new product proposals
  • Attended the Contributors Discussion and UX/UI Working Group Meeting

@jill

@Zia_Fazal

  • Started work on upgrade tutor-ecommerce and tutor-discovery plugins to quince release
  • Discovery on upload time improvement of Scorm Xblock in case of S3 backend

4. What do you plan to work on in the upcoming sprint?

@jill

  • Planning to do more Aspects and Conduct committee work next sprint.

@antoviaque

  • Upstreaming MOOC Async Sprint
  • OEP for escalation process to TOC - Follow-up
  • PR Delays - Follow-up

@ali_hugo

  • See if there are any patterns in the feedback I received during interviews with CC’s. Determine how to share this feedback with the rest of the community so we can work together to come up with solutions.

@Dean

  • To coordinate all the remaining test cases for the Quince test plan and keep informed of GitHub issues blocking the upcoming Quince release.

5. What went well this sprint?

@Felipe

  • Finalizing the delivery of the wordpress plugin that allows openedx instances to sell courses using woocommerce

@Dean

@antoviaque

  • A first OSPR is being experimentally delegated by the TNL team to the core contributors

@ali_hugo

  • I got some interesting (and useful!) feedback from CC’s during user interviews…

@jill

  • John Swope’s CC nomination was successful!
  • Sarina has done a great job leading asynchronous discussions to launch the Conduct Committee!
  • I’m getting into a good rhythm for Aspects work.

:speech_balloon: Questions or comments?

Please add any questions or comments you might have below. We’d love to hear from you!

3 Likes

@Dean Very nice presentation to the CC update this week! :smiley: Kudos ;p

Agreed, this is pretty low. It’s really useful to have the info, to pass it on to the rest of the community - but also to hear of any blocker of issue. A lot of conversations and fixes discussed over the past originated from issues mentioned in the reports - so it’s worth taking the 5 minutes every 2 weeks to reflect on current work!

@Dean Btw, to help with the work @ali_hugo is doing, it could be worth asking the people who don’t reply if there are blockers or issues with it? CC @Fox_Piacenti - that’s where it would be useful to be able to write to the people who haven’t responded via Listaflow.

@arbrandes @xitij2000 If you haven’t seen this yet, it would be worth getting your review ^

2 Likes

On my queue to do a proper review! Exciting stuff!

1 Like