Open edX Devstack Development with Apple Macbook M1 Silicon (ARM Architecture)

ah, Rosetta 2 :thinking:.
No, i have not. I thought that braden’s arm64 containers were an alternative that made Rosetta 2 moot. I’ll give it a try. thanks.

[MOMENTS LATER] Confirming that Docker still recommends Rosetta 2: Docker Desktop for Apple silicon | Docker Documentation. Also, posting an observation here, in this thread: if you’re not running Rosetta 2 then you’ll see an"arm64" alert badge on each “job” container pointing out that arm64 architecture was detected on your machine, and that container stability and performance are basically “best effort”.

[AN HOUR LATER] Confirming that installing Rosetta 2 appears to have resolved my initial technical problems with containers as well as the Docker file system in general. My immediate next test, #9, was successful. But having said that, it took around 75 minutes start-to-finish: approximately 30 minutes to build, 45 minutes to deploy.

All that was left to do was:

• figure out how to shell into the lms container to run ./manage.py lms createsuperuser
  • dredge the mysql root password out of the tutor config.yml file
  • figure out how to shell into the mysql container to run a mysql client as root
  • fight with the mysql command line for a few minutes until i could get a mostly-blank record inserted into auth_profile for my new username

… and voilá! i’m in Django admin. piece of cake :laughing:

You should have just been able to run this tutor command though?

that would be bullet point #1

Ah, well it’s supposed to give you django admin access right away without you having to do any additional steps… Not sure what went wrong there.

on new builds i frequently run into a stack trace because the auth_profile record is missing. so when that happens i use mysql from the command line to insert a blank record, and afterward all is fine.