Questions regarding Tutor plugin development

I was looking for a way to get Docker containers metrics for my local development setup for Open edX and realised I had to rely on Django debug toolbar. I worked on setting up some Grafana locally to get metrics for my running containers. This gave me an idea to develop a Tutor plugin for monitoring metrics using Grafana.

This Docker based setup worked for my local development where I am running Open edX on Docker. I do not have a production environment so I am not sure how it would work there. I believe it could work for single server deployments but not for Kubernetes based deployments.

I do have some questions before I start working on this:

1. Would developing something like that add some sort of value for others? Basically should I invest some time developing it?
  2. I looked into documentation for developing Tutor plugins. It mentions how to integrate single Docker containers. But can a docker compose based integrated as is? Or would I need to add container details one by one?
  3. For Tutor plugins is there some sort of place where the community uploads there contribution? How do people view already existing plugins?

I think that a Grafana monitoring plugin would be useful not just to you, but to other people as well. I implemented such a plugin in the past but encountered issues with provisioning.

To implement a new plugin, I suggest you have a look at existing ones. For instance, the notes plugin adds extra containers to docker-compose (and Kubernetes): GitHub - overhangio/tutor-notes: Student notes plugin for Tutor

We do keep an index of plugins here: GitHub - overhangio/tpi This makes it possible to install and search for plugins with tutor plugins install .... Also, Edly keeps a list of valuable plugins right here: https://edly.io/tutor/plugins-and-themes/

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed response. This answers my question